15 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

I've been sticking to the program for 3 months now and feel I'm doing well. My main concern at the moment is Vit D.
At first I had trouble getting up from my starting level of 66 nmol/L, but with a few mega doses I got to 164.5 nmol/L and started taking 10,000 iu a day.
Seven weeks later I had another test and my levels had dropped to 106 nmol/L.

I have recently taken another mega dose and will test again on Monday, if high enough, I will take this new level as my new starting point and dose daily at 15,000iu, testing again in around seven weeks to see how things are going.
Hopefully, my levels will rise over the next seven weeks and I can drop my daily dose to stabilize these levels.

As I have found 10,000iu causes my levels to fall and I'm hoping 15,000iu will cause them to rise, somewhere in between should be the correct level for me.

Does anyone else have to dose above the highest recommended level of 10,000iu to keep their vit D stable and if so, do you have any adverse affects?

Be well

Brian
Hi Brian,

You are at the end of winter in your country, and vitamin D levels do drop over the sunless months of winter.

Regular tests and dose adjustment according to results will allow you to find your optimal Vitamin D dose. It's different for everyone.

My own experience is below. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, and I have plentiful supplies of fat, though quite a bit less than prior to starting OMS!

January 2012 - Vit D level of 70.
January 2012 : Commenced 70,000 IU per week
February 2012 : megadose 150,000 IU
April 2012 : Megadose 100,000 IU
May 2012 : level 134.
May 2012 : megadose of 150,000 IU.
August 2012 - level gone down to 105 (End of winter in Australia)
August 2012 - Took another megadose of 300,000 IU
August 2012 Increased regular supplementation to a weekly dose of 150,000 IU
November 2012 - level = 222 reduced weekly dose to 100,000 IU.

So, you can see that it took a while to get there, and several tests along the way.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Hi Sue, thanks for the reply.

Not sure if winter plans on ending this year, watching the snow falling as i type this. :)

I realize that everyone is different regarding Vit D and that constant testing is required, I was just a little concerned about the constant high levels I am taking compared to the recommended upper daily intake.

I've never been sure how the toxicity levels work, is it down to how much you are taking or how high you're blood levels are?

I'm 6' and 77kg, so according to George's recommendations 8,000 iu should be enough, but as you say, everyone's different.

Brian
Do you eat lots of cereals, whole grains? Wheat? Google dietary factors that can effect D uptake. (Phytic acid etc).

Sara
Have a look on the Vitamin D Council's website. That will give the answers you want

bannrikae wrote:
I've never been sure how the toxicity levels work, is it down to how much you are taking or how high you're blood levels are?

Brian
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I do eat a large bowl of whole grain cereal for breakfast every day, so maybe that is having an effect on my uptake.

Thanks for that Kashu, I think that has answered my question.
They seem to suggest that Toxicity happens when you're blood serum becomes too high, so I am quite happy to continue dosing at any level required to keep my levels at 150 - 225 nmol/L.

Thanks for you're help :D

Brian
Well, I've just got my results back from my last test.
Just to recap, previous test on 05/02/13 was 106.0 nmol/L
Took megadose of 250,000 iu over a few days as well as my daily 15,000 iu.
so my latest test results - 110.5 nmol/L.

A megadose of 250,000iu and daily doses of 15,000 have raised my levels by 4.5 nmol/L

These are the tabs I'm taking - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009HACL7O/r ... 51_3p_dp_1

I think I am going to change to some soft gels and see if they work any better.

Looks like Vit D is going to be a problem for me :twisted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for 5000 iu soft gels in the UK?

Thanks

Brian
Yes your body appears to be sucking it up and so does mine. I had to do regular megadoses and 10,000IU per day to bring it up. I still need to megadose from time to time.

I use iherb.com to get 10,000IU gels.

bannrikae wrote: Well, I've just got my results back from my last test.
Just to recap, previous test on 05/02/13 was 106.0 nmol/L
Took megadose of 250,000 iu over a few days as well as my daily 15,000 iu.
so my latest test results - 110.5 nmol/L.

A megadose of 250,000iu and daily doses of 15,000 have raised my levels by 4.5 nmol/L

These are the tabs I'm taking - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009HACL7O/r ... 51_3p_dp_1

I think I am going to change to some soft gels and see if they work any better.

Looks like Vit D is going to be a problem for me :twisted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for 5000 iu soft gels in the UK?

Thanks

Brian
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Thanks Kashu

I have just brought some 5000IU soft gels, so will see how they go.

There is another thread, just gone to the top of this forum regarding vit D levels falling whilst supplementing, that has answered few questions and suggest that the soft gels may be absorbed better.

Brian
That's fine just double the dose
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
15 posts Page 1 of 2