8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I hope that you're all feeling well today :)

I'm going to try to get an appointment with my GP tomorrow to ask for a Vit D test. I'm just wondering how to go about it as i know that it's not a routine thing that they do? How often do i need to ask him to test my levels?

Also, i have a 15 month old little boy. How much Vit D should he be having and should the GP be able to prescribe it for him? Would it be in liquid form?

Thanks in advance :)

Denise

XxX
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
Hi Denise

I have a Vit D test in a couple of weeks with my GP. I actually got a referal from my MS nurse, who agreed that there was evidence that MSers are often lacking in Vit D. Maybe you could try that route?

From what I've read on here, it would seem that a GP will not prescribe as much Vit D as OMS recommends though. I think we will need to purchase our own Vit D for that...

Rachel
By the way, I am UK based too. It would be interesting to know how you get on, as there seems to be such a massive discrepancy in the way different GPs/medical practitioners deal with MS!

Rachel
My UK GP practice are happy that I test every 6 months, they know I supplement.
I ask for a Vitamin D 25(OH)D test.
I buy my own vitamin D3 to take and do not bother even to try to get the surgery to perscribe anything, that to me is wasted energy, I just go for getting it regularily tested and leave it at that.
If my level was like really low at the start then I might try to ask for a mega one off dose.
Denise, it is important that your little boy takes vitamin D.

Read this page for the reasons why and how to calculate the dose.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... y-Members/

Your best and hassle free source of vitamin D in the doses we need will be probably be online, the bottom of this page has some suggestions. GP's rarely prescribe in the required doses and can be unhelpful.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Vitamin-D/
Vitamin D drops may be the most practical, although snipping a larger dose capsule over his food every few days is fine too, as vitamin D is fat soluble and takes time to get into the bloodstream.

This topic was moved from Diet.
Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. I have got an appointment with the GP this afternoon.

With regards to my toddler; he is 13kg which would mean he should be having just over 1000iu a day. My capsules are each 5000iu, so i could open one up to put on his food every 5 days, would this be too much for him in one dose? He's 15 months old.

Thank you :)
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
Single dose every 5 to 6 days should be OK. Long term solution would be to get the vitamin D in liquid format. The format I use for the children has one drop equal to 1000 IU. Tasteless and easy to use.

Claire
That's great thank you for your advice. I think i'm going to go ahead and buy the liquid for him.

Denise :)
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
8 posts Page 1 of 1