10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,
I'm too scared to take the megadoses of vitamin d3 and fish oil. However I take 5000 iu vit d3 daily and one fish oil plus plenty of flax seed oil. Will these amounts make a positive difference to my relapse rate bearing in mind I was taking nothing before I started this program last month.
There is no need to be scared of the megadoses. Especially in the case of the Vit D, you may need a megadose to get you to the correct level (you can't build Vit D over time; you have to have a megadose and then supplement to keep your levels stable). Getting your Vit D level up as quickly as possible is essential as a guard against relapse.

Rachel
Kutkut,

Have you had a blood test to ascertain what your current level of vitamin D?

Any supplementation or megadose you may plan require that information first.

We all metabolise vitamin D very differently - some people need more or less than others.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
I think most people are a little nervous of taking the megadoses, I know I was.

To make it worse, in the UK, the largest over the counter supplement I could find was 1000IU, so when I took my first megadose of 150,000IU I had to swallow 150 pills in one go which didn't seem right!

However, as other people have found, I had no side effects and when I got my Vit D levels up, started to see positive benefits.

I would not hesitate to take a megadose now if I needed it.

Brian
Thank you for your replies. I haven't actually checked my vit d levels but I'm guessing it'll be pretty low as I live in the uk and stay indoors most of the time. I'm going to carry on with what I'm doing now and check my levels in a couple of months. I'm hoping 5000 iu a day will have made a positive impact.
Hi Kutkut

It is really important to get your Vit D levels checked, especially as you live in the UK and are indoors a lot. I had mine checked last July and I was at 23nmol/L, which is VERY low. I had a megadose of 480,000iu, and that took me to 127nmol/L. Professor Jelinek recommends a Vit D level of 150 - 200nmol/L. I have been supplementing with 10,000iu a day since then, and will have another test in the next few months.

Getting your Vit D levels sorted out is one of the easiest parts of the OMS programme. You are leaving yourself open to the risk of relapse if they are low. I appreciate you are scared of the megadose aspect, but wouldn't a relapse be worse?

Please get your levels checked!
Rachel
Hi Kutkut

I must admit when I started (3 years ago now) I was concerned about the idea of a megadose so didn't, however I took 10,000iu a day -2 capsules 5000 each ordered on the internet from one of the website recomended here. It took a while to get my levels up, after 7 months (I think) I was up to around 100 and 6 months later I was pretty close to 150 and the next check I was there! I get VitD checked roughly every 6 months.

You don't say how much fish oil you are taking. While flaxseed oil is great (I use it) you must remember for the first 9 months you should focus on fish sources. I have always followed the recommendation in the book - 1 can John West sardines in springwater each day for breakfast. When I want a break I rely on flaxseed oil.

In relation to megadose - which I didn't- I think some doctors will give a shot to get vit D up to a reasonable level which is by definition a megadose.

Cheers
MO
Thank you for replying Mo. It's good to know that the levels can be gradually built up over time. Do you continue to take 10,000 iu a day?
Yes I continue to take 10000iu daily however I am now skipping weekends as my levels are where I want them to be so 50000per week as opposed to 5000perday which would be 35000per week.
The thing about building your levels up over time rather than quickly with a megadose is that it leaves you open to relapses while you are waiting to get to the right level.

Remember the minimum is 150 nmol/L and up around the 200 nmol/L gives room for a sudden drop if your body goes through some type of stress like sickness or trauma. Personally I find that I have to take higher doses often and if I get sick or as recently I lost my mum, I automatically take an extra 50,000IU dose above my usual 10,000IU per day as insurance. This seems to work really well.

You may like to reconsider the megadose option.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
10 posts Page 1 of 1