16 posts Page 1 of 2
I've been away from the forum for the last 6 weeks because the neurologist at Bumrungrad Hospital, Bangkok thought the treatment I'd been given (prednisolone) for my spinal lesion hadn't worked at all and she therefore concluded it was a tumour, not myelitis.

After my 3rd MRI a few days ago she did a (2nd) U-turn and concluded the treatment was working after all, albeit very slowly, and that the lesion was definitely myelitis.

She seemed very open-minded about what would help in this situation and prescribed me various pills and vitamins, including
1 x capsule weekly of vitamin D (20,000 units). I've just read the label and they are calciferol, vitamin D2

I've read a few articles online which say people in our situation should be getting vitamin D3, not D2 - do you agree or are they equally beneficial?

incidentally she's adamant 20,000 IU/week is enough...
If you know what your current level is then that helps know if you need a mega boost.
Don't expect Drs to agree if the amount is right, it is your control of what you want your level to be and how to acheive it. So it might be a combo of what perscribed and your own purchased vit d.
thanks but my question was whether she's right to be prescribing me D2 instead of D3

btw, I had my Vit D levels checked recently. The D2 was <2.4 ng/ml and the D3 was 35.5 ng/ml
It's D3 you want and as to whether 20000Iu per week is enough it entirely depends on your current levels so they need to be tested.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
pomozki wrote: thanks but my question was whether she's right to be prescribing me D2 instead of D3
btw, I had my Vit D levels checked recently. The D2 was <2.4 ng/ml and the D3 was 35.5 ng/ml

This is a related read.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Vitamin-D/
This is relevant to your reading which by my thinking it is a US reading at 35.5 ng/ml is low.
'(60ng/mL for those in the US)'

Given you are in Thailand should have opportunity for real sun light every day as well.
The post above looks like spam, I would ignore it.
Kashu wrote: It's D3 you want and as to whether 20000Iu per week is enough it entirely depends on your current levels so they need to be tested.

ok thanks for that
I've already quoted my D2 and D3 levels :)
veg wrote:
pomozki wrote: thanks but my question was whether she's right to be prescribing me D2 instead of D3

This is a related read.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Vitamin-D/
This is relevant to your reading which by my thinking it is a US reading at 35.5 ng/ml is low.
'(60ng/mL for those in the US)'

Given you are in Thailand should have opportunity for real sun light every day as well.

thanks - it is an interesting dilemma
on the one hand I might need to boost my vit D level (I'll read the link you quoted). On the other, the neuro also told me that one of the things that would be beneficial would be to avoid being in the sun for too long or increasing my core body temperature. Maybe a short "burst" in the sun, say 20 mins a day, might be a good compromise!
If you are already not heat tolerant then yes do not spend long time in sun, be better to spend two short sessions in the sun. See what you can tolerate 20 minutes for some people is too much. I for many many years had complete tolerance and could spend hours outside in the sun, not everyone is intolerant to the sun heat.
Yes I saw that after I posted, looks like you need a megadose to bring up your levels quickly. You will need to buy it yourself though because it sounds like your doc won't be onboard with it.

pomozki wrote:
Kashu wrote: It's D3 you want and as to whether 20000Iu per week is enough it entirely depends on your current levels so they need to be tested.

ok thanks for that
I've already quoted my D2 and D3 levels :)
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
16 posts Page 1 of 2