2 posts Page 1 of 1
I stumbled across an article about a vitamin-D based treatment that looks really promising. The research appears credible, as it was published in the Journal of Neuroimmunology. Unfortunately, the discovery didn't capture the attention of the mainstream media.

According to the article, a team of University of Wisconsin biochemists "discovered a promising vitamin D-based treatment that can halt — and even reverse — the course of the disease in a mouse model of MS."

This protocol involved giving "a single dose of calcitriol, the active hormone form of vitamin D, followed by ongoing vitamin D supplements through the diet." The results of the study, that used mice with MS symptoms, was very promising. The lead researcher, Professor Colleen Hayes explained, "All of the animals just got better and better, and the longer we watched them, the more neurological function they regained,"

Professor Hayes called this protocol "a runaway success" because "one hundred percent of the mice responded."

"Hayes believes that the calcitriol may cause the autoimmune cells attacking the nerve cells' myelin coating to die, while the vitamin D prevents new autoimmune cells from taking their place."

Furthermore, in a study "funded by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Hayes' team compared various vitamin D-based treatments to standard MS drugs. In each case, vitamin D-based treatments won out. Mice that received them showed fewer physical symptoms and cellular signs of disease."

The article was published in 2013, and I'm not sure what has happened with the research since then. However, this information may be useful in understanding the power of vitamin D.

References:

http://news.wisc.edu/22163

http://www.jni-journal.com/article/S0165-5728(13)00205-1/abstract
Great article. I truely believe vitamin D is so so important.
All my attacks have been at the end of winter when my levels were at the lowest.
Keeping levels high now and get tested often.
Ax
2 posts Page 1 of 1