25 posts Page 1 of 3
I'm going to run again today and that will make 2 days in a row. I had pain in my thigh the first 2 times and I'm torn between taking care of my yoga body which needs to be supple and flexible and running, which all my yoga instructors said tightens muscles. But running feels so GOOD. OMG, it's as if we were... born to run. It's so satisfying. What I think is going to make the difference is that running a 5k just seems like the most amazing thing to do while having MS and I'm not getting any younger.

Anyone have any experiences to share? Anyone have stiffness?

Oh, and one more really great thing (though you might not think it). After just 2 minutes running, my hands hurt like they used to - but then feel excellent later. And my left leg tingles like I was newly diagnosed. Total electricity.

So why is this good? It feels like healing. I reckon everything we do repeatedly is retraining our nervous system and that I've found a gap, even after getting in excellent shape. And I noticed I walked more solidly the next morning.

So I'll continue. Please post your running experiences. I know some have posted before.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Well done Alex

I used to ride my bike 20K every day before DX a year ago, but have not done it since due to stiffness
in my legs, and balance problems.
Two hours ago i went for 3k for the first time. It gave me some tingle in the left leg, and the foot started slapping.
It gave me the scare, but passed after 15 minutes.
Like you i choose to se it as a sign of recovering.
Peter,

that's excellent. I stopped at when my foot started slapping a little. Do you roll? It's the most amazing thing against stiffness. Really, it's a miracle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0
Alex

Thanks. getting rid of the stiffness would sure be great. Maybe i should order these rolls.
Only been 3 months on the program, so I am still fighting.
Definitely. I rolled last night and this morning and I'm hardly stiff at all. Read up on them - there is actually a lot of literature and they're no longer just for rehab, but or athletes. It's been nothing short of a miracle for me.
Alex

Thanks again Alex. I just did the reading and saw your video, found them and ordered.
I love running.

I agree that it feels like healing.
Just taking a look at a roller Alex, from your reading are there different foam densities to look out for or rather advoid please?

Oh and length for storing I like the 45cm long one.

could do with dealing with stiffness for sure. running ha, when I have forty winks maybe
Hi,
I used to run regularly (about 5k a time) until MS and left foot drop. I still miss it. If I was start again, should I run until I get foot drop then walk? Also do you think over time I will be run longer distances? Some advice please.
Thanks,
Rachel
Veg
Regarding rollers, any roller will be good. The white ones are soft and are what you're given if you go to Physical Therapy. The only problem is that they wear out - but that's a good sign that it's time to upgrade to something harder. I have a white one which is a little soft. At the gym, I use a blue one (below) and that will be my "upgrade" in the future. The black one is too hard to start, but with the Blue or White one, you'll be fine.

Here's the blue one I adore: http://www.amazon.com/Altus-Athletic-6- ... 12&sr=1-22.

Be sure to avoid the black hard ones, at least to start. It can be quite uncomfortable at the start, but you want to stay with it.

Rachel
As far as foot drop, I don't trip, I just slap a little and rest. I use the Ossur Foot Up, but that's for very mild foot drop. But for people with proper foot drop, I know a girl who runs with a Foot Drop Brace - there are so many different ones out there, you should google it and check with your doctor - but foot drop is one of the things that can be helped a lot.
Alex

25 posts Page 1 of 3