25 posts Page 2 of 3
I sometimes get a bit of mild foot drop, in which case I slow to a brisk walk for a few minutes. If it returns when I speed up again, I finish the route at a walk. Alex's suggestions are all great and for more severe foot drop FES can be worth considering.

My problematic symptoms (for running) were all to do with balance and coordination - I started trying to get fit with swimming (no balance needed! and the cool water stopped me overheating), then running on a treadmill (holding myself upright) to get my muscles used to running without the overheat->lose balance problem getting in the way, and then running (slowly!) outdoors. Really out of practise at the moment though with rubbish weather and little daylight at this time of year - should be joining local gym this weekend.
Thanks Alex, I have ordered one and should be with me mid next week, so we will see I sure do have muscle knots so am hoping to work on those slowly over time.
Veg - excellent!

I was thinking about you as I rolled this morning at the gym. It's so easy on a giant gym floor. You're in for a little surprise at what it feels like, but you will notice a difference:)
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
My roller arrived today, I may send it back whilst it is a light blue one it is hard and I can not sqease it and I am not sure if this is normal or too hard.
I only weigh a little smidge over 8 stone.
Give it a try. The harder it is, the more advanced. Depending on how tight your muscles are, it may be just right. But the softer will be more comfortable.
Alex

I just wanted to post this re: foot drop. If you can ignore the newscaster's hair and the fact that the man has no top teeth, it's a great piece on a someone who runs marathans with the worst foot drop possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3iO_3i39-4
Alex

That foot drop support looks very clean and simple.

I listened to the Amazon video with the blue and the white product and the presenter actually said the only difference between the white and the blue one is the colour, the matrial and density are the same.
So that leaves the only differene being do I keep the 6 inch one or send it back and get the 4 inch one.
I rang 66fit up direct, very helpful. Anyway confirmed they are the same material the blue and white and that I had bought the right one as being an adult he would not have said the 4 inch one. They also have videos on their website on how to use.
So I will have a go later, eek as I know this will hurt.
Veg - that sounds great. It's only a general rule - choosign the right density is the most important thing. Let me know how painful it is. Be sure to watch videos on how to do it, but be careful the instructions are for beginners to start.

I ran around the track yesterday. I'm getting better and better and have no pain after. I'm testing two pair of shoes I bought - one with padding and one without. Researching shoes is more complicated than buying a computer or car. You can buy a pair (at least in the US) and even return them after you run in them. But to be safe, I'm only running in the gym, so they soles are not wearing out or getting dirty.

In any case, so far, so good. I want to run a 5K because it sounds like a great thing to do, I feel AMAZING after running and because I may not be able to one day. That doesn't mean I don't have faith in the programme, it just means that things happen. It's also a great motivation and part of getting the maximum out of life. And I like it.
Alex

I would love to be able to run again. Not that I would go running, because that is not my really my thing. But simply being able to catch a tram or bus when it's coming but you have to cross the road to be able to catch it and it will leave without you if you don't hurry..

I haven't been able to run for a few years now, I simply do not seem to be able to get my body moving, and I think I will simply fall when I try..I have tried running on a treadmill during physical rehabilitation, but I got severe nerve (?) pain in my lower back. They told me that it was not a matter of pushing myself in doing it, but I am not sure?
I am not able to walk or stand for longer than half an hour, so running is simply 'out of my league' at the moment.

Swimming is the only form of exercise that makes me feel better instead of worse, and I do try running in the water. That is a start, I will try running on the street again later. Any tips?
It scares me not being able to run, when there is a emergency situation and you can not get away...!
I don't know, but maybe people will have stories. But I think you have a good plan. As you swim, you will build muscle and "reconnect" your legs to your brain through plasticity and hopefully healing. Why not practice walking first - no sense running before you can walk well.

Consider if you didn't use your legs for even 3 months, you would have trouble walking and espeically running. You can experience how much your difficulties are due to muscle weakness after you have practiced swimming and walking. Even if you don't end up running, the swimming will improve your life. Good luck and keep us informed about your progress.
Alex

25 posts Page 2 of 3