12 posts Page 1 of 2
I walked with a spring in my step this morning. I've been doing Yoga 2x weekly for about 3 months now and have developed a morning routine.

I've stopped taking baclofen and my legs feel great. I feel great all over.

And it's much easier to meditate before and after a yoga session.

WOW WOW WOW. Give it a try with a serious class.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
I'm SO happy for you, Alex! Yoga is so good for you (my Mum has been doing it for 30 years and is the picture of health at 68 yrs young). I hope you continue to feel amazing - you deserve it! :-)
i have my first yoga session tomorrow morning - am looking forward to it cos it has 30 mins meditation after.
have found a private studio that is in my suburb - who would've thought.
so all being well - yoga on tues and thurs mornings. ;)
hope to get some positive feelings out of it both physically and mentally.
will let you know how it goes.

Jo
That's excellent. I recently had to lower the amount I went to once per week and I missed it - a lot! I'm going back. I've been monday and am going today as well.

There is definately something going on when you do Yoga that feels healing. It's almost as if you feel younger after each class.

Guys - it's not what you think - more and more men are doing it and it's not a class full of competative skinny, flexible women. There are a more and more guys - especially in middle age. And EVERY person I talk to has the same experience - "I wish I'd started this years ago".

Jo - as you mention, there is a built-in meditation component. Normally, ours are only 10 mins, so not as great as yours. But for people who don't know how to meditate, this is also an effortless introduction.

Have a great session!
Alex

Had my first yoga class yesterday - a small class of 6 which was nice. you got personal attention from the instructor.
the class was mostly relaxation and meditation with a few poses. It lasted an hour and a half.
loved it.
am looking forward to the next one on Tues that is mostly poses.

for anyone who hasn't tried it - the atmosphere, the music, the scents, even the participants were all so calming.
we are all there for different reasons but in a way the same - all there to centre ourselves and promote healing (mind and body).

as Alex says - have a go!!

Jo
so i woke up feeling rotten. hadn't slept well and the body was not happy. also the monthly visitor arrived this morning. hooray!

mentally dragged myself to yoga (1.5 hr class) and i almost feel like a new person afterwards.
just having to focus on each posture means that i'm not worrying about how bad my head feels or what happens to be vibrating etc.

it is one hour and a half of almost not thinking about MS.
i love it.
wish i could do a class everyday.

Jo
That's great to hear! I'm finally able to practice at home, though it's always best in the group. I have a routine I do some nights before I go to sleep.
Alex

Hi Alex
Which poses do you find beneficial before bed?
Also, my balance is pretty good during the poses but is when I'm walking that is the problem.
It always feels like I'm swaying.
I often walk kerbs which I can do fine.
What did you do to feel confident about balance again?
Am investigating a pilates class this week.
My ears have that full feeling all the time since my first episode. I wonder if this contributes to the swaying.
I remember a couple of weeks ago I had a five minute period when my ears felt normal and I felt confident walking.
Any pointers would be great
Jo
Hi Jo,

sorry to take so long to reply; it's been a busy weekend:)

It took me a long time before I could remember poses enough to do them at home.

I had time last night, so here's what I did. It can vary any evening on how I feel or what I want to stretch, but it's pretty much based on sun salutations and I also need to stretch my ham strings, so I always include a good leg stetch. I did a full set last night. Most nights aren't as "busy".

1. Sitting with legs folded breating, calming down, focusing on my breating
2. Sitting Twist both sides 2x, breating out on stretch and in on straigtening back
3. Cat/Cow for few minutes, "warming up the spine"
4. Downward Dog, alternating stretching each ankle
5) Then 4-12 in the diagram here: http://www.vishwamohan.com/post/2006/12 ... ation.aspx
note: this diagram is a perfect place to start and if you do this before you go to sleep, you'll be just fine!

6) I then did "threading the Needle", because it's one of my favourites, I also did the Marichi Pose because I love it too
http://www.projectpossessed.com/2011/11 ... on-part-2/

That's the thing - at home, you can do your faves.

7) I then did Warrier 2 and then Triangle pose
8) Reclining Big Toe pose http://www.yogaartandscience.com/poses/ ... 1/sp1.html
9) and then I did the variation whereyou pull your leg over to the other side
http://ashevilleyogasangha.com/wordpres ... g-toe-pose

9) I then did Eye of the Needle Pose
10) I did the corpse pose and then sitting crossed legged again to finish. It took about 30 mins.

I've been doing this 2 years 2-3x weekly, so I can remember them now. But I do believe that this is the best place to start by yourself:

http://www.vishwamohan.com/post/2006/12 ... ation.aspx

Tips: Don't stretch till it hurts - stretch till it feels good and do it again tomorrow
Don't stop breathing. If you stop, expell all your air and start over
Yoga is fun and relaxing - don't make it a sport.
Alex

Alex

12 posts Page 1 of 2