24 posts Page 2 of 3
Wow. yoga camp sounds great.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Ah I'd LOVE to do that but I'm busy both weekends he's in London with things I can't cancel! Nevermind hopefully he'll come again.
I googled Garth Mclean and it's inspiring to see what he can still do with his body despite MS and also to see how well he is doing with the yoga and diet. Not sure exactly what diet he is doing but I did read he does follow a nutritional plan as well as the yoga.

I really do have a strong feeling that if I practiced yoga every day, I will stay healthy. That and the diet.

So thanks so much for posting that link ales. I've only been practicing in my twice weekly class and havent managed to motivate myself at home. Since seeing that link I've practiced every day! I hope I keep it up!

Thanks!

Miriam

Ps here is a link to a YouTube clip he did.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FCWi8kkYzzE
Hello everyone , I am new to the forum , I read lots of the posts after an inconclusive diagnosis and realised that many of the difficulties I am amd have been experiencing can be related to me . My walking has made me very down off and on for about four years I am not old but feel I walk like someone who is . I walk slowly and sometimes feel stiffness . I sometimes will walk quite normally then suddenly my legs feel tired and I run out of steam. Usually I can walk for about 40 minutes without resting . I am on the oms diet and have been for about4 weeks. I have been in tears this afternoon thinking of all the things I can't do. I want to go shopping with my children but cant wander around and don't want to feel I am embarrassing them. I want to visit my son in Australia but don't think I can. I feel a complete failure for being unable to function the way I want to and watch people dong things effortlessly with a touch of envy though I know this is wrong . I really don't know which way to turn . Any advise would be really appreciated. Thank you and lots of love
Hi it's Harvey I think I posted in the wrong category as I wanted to ask for advice about walking difficulties and my post is in yoga and rehabilitation. Does any one have any help. Thanks harveyx
Hi
Starting from scratch what is your vitamin d level?
Brilliant!!
Since the day I started practising yoga I knew it was amazing (for everyone, not just for those with MS). I am now lucky enough to be teaching yoga and have been for a few years.

Yoga never ceases to amaze me.

If anyone hasn't yet tried it, please do. It doesn't matter how able you are or aren't. There will be a teacher out there who will be able to help you. It's not always about strong physical postures and physical exertion. Connecting with your breath and listening to your symptoms is often enough.

I studied with Fiona Agombar a few years ago and during the course (which was specifically for those with MS) witnessed some amazing effects on some really disabled people. After some yogic breathing and a deep relaxation the student was able to get up from the floor when he had to be helped down in the first place. In my mind this is the result of reducing inflammation and calming the CNS enough to let the body move as it used to.

This is why the meditation part of this programme is a priority to me. I know it's tricky to fit it in sometimes, but without it I just don't think the improvements will be as dramatic as they could be.

Sorry if this goes on a bit but I am so passionate about the benefits if yoga, meditation and relaxation that I had to go on a bit!! And it's my job and I love it and I love seeing this sort of inspirational evidence from others.

Happy yoga and OMS everyone! This forum is bloody brilliant!! X
Hello Harvey. Once walking difficulties set in, life becomes very restricted, I know. My heart goes out to you, and to all of us who have problems walking. It is important to grieve for your lost function, but if this goes on too long then you are at risk of depression, and that needs compassionate treatment. There's a great book that talks about the reality slap, and the reality gap. The reality gap is the most challenging part of MS, because there often is a huge gap between the way things are, and the way we want things to be. In addition to the obvious difficulties MS can bring to our lives, this gap in expectations can cause further suffering.

You are in a process of adapting and accepting, which is challenging. In taking on the OMS program you are doing all you can to help yourself stabilise and recover, but if you don't experience recovery, accepting your circumstances and adapting to them is necessary, and I think that is something that needs to be learnt early, because in a worst case scenario, MS can mean adapting to progressively worsening disability. If you can remain hopeful of improvement while still accepting and adjusting to whatever disability you are experiencing, that perhaps is the best approach.

Firstly, you have done nothing wrong and don't need to feel embarrassed. If you talk to your children I very much doubt they will feel embarrassed either. In fact, I'm willing to bet that they will be eager to help you participate. One thing about MS is the revelation of how it can bring out the best in others. Being compassionate and thoughtful of other's needs is what MS asks of the people around us. Being compassionate to ourselves and accepting more dependence on others is what MS often asks of ourselves. Secondly (although it is hard) it can help to practice being grateful for what you do have, and to concentrate on the things that you can do, and not just on what you have lost.

It may mean taking a leap into something that is confronting for you, such as using a wheelchair in order to participate in activities again, or to help you visit your son. It's a big psychological jump, but if it helps you to do the things you want to do, it may be necessary to make that jump. You only use it when you need to, and when it makes things easier for you.

A physiotherapist may be able to help you with exercise for your walking, suggest assistive devices or walking aids, and your GP may be able to prescribe something that will help. For example, Baclofen may assist with spasticity, and Fampyra may help with walking capacity.

If you feel you are becoming depressed, please consider talking to your doctor about treatment, and perhaps a referral to a skilled and compassionate counsellor who can help you to adjust to the changes in your circumstances.

I hoped this helped in some way Harvey. Take care. Loz.
An amazing story I admire that man so much he is a real inspiration He brings tears to my eyes. Xx
Thank you Loz for your advice I am going to continue on oms as I do see some small improvement in my balance and sometimes am blessed with normal walking I am going to try some gentle yoga and keep hoping that one day I will be my old self. Thank you xx. In reply to veg I take 100ug D3daily. Not sure how much I should be taking. Xx
Harvey wrote: Thank you Loz for your advice I am going to continue on oms as I do see some small improvement in my balance and sometimes am blessed with normal walking I am going to try some gentle yoga and keep hoping that one day I will be my old self. Thank you xx. In reply to veg I take 100ug D3daily. Not sure how much I should be taking. Xx

Harvey that is only 4000IU which is probably not enough. What is your blood level?
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
24 posts Page 2 of 3