24 posts Page 3 of 3
Hi Everyone,

I was just poking around and saw this bumped up. I went to Yoga yesterday and this morning as usual. Even once or twice a week is enough and there are beginning classes as well as those for old or disabled people. I was stiff today, so I didn't push too hard and rested through a few postures. But I'm still doing great and keeping my balance in check as well as keeping physically fit. Yoga can help everyone, even if you can't get up and down, there is special yoga for people in wheelchairs or with limited mobility. You won't regret it.

Alex
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Hi Alex

I've just written a newsletter article for the Iyengar Yoga Institute in London about how much I think yoga helps with MS symptoms. - with the help of the fabulous Garth Mclean. Reading this thread seems very timely!

What kind of yoga do you practice?
Hi Yavvy,

sorry to take so long to respond. I do my yoga at the YMCA and the instructors can be varied in their approach. I'd call it a little bit of Iyengar, a little hatha and a little flow. Mostly, we do sun salutations followed by standing positions, followed by some on the ground positions. Depending on the week, we'll work on shoulders, hips, etc. I have had a few Iyengar instructors and found them very useful to improve my technique, though I find they can be over the top on form, so I do enjoy the mix at the YMCA. It's also geared towards middle aged people, so it fits in. Generally, if you are a man in yoga and you are above 40, you are there for an injury, so the instructors are aware of their crowd. They also have gentle yoga sessions for seniors which might be applicable to PWMS.

Good for you for spreading the knowledge. People need to know it's more than stretching - the stretching is the most benefit at first, actually being able to turn your body, reach for something and not be in pain. After you get some flexibility, it's all about building up and restoring tiny muscles across the body. This is the most amazing part of it - I stand taller, have correct posture and feel great in my own body. My Warrior II looks exactly the same as 2 years ago, but inside my own body something much different is going on. It's as if any one can stand up, but standing with full muscle control and strength is a wonderful feeling. I am also convinced it keeps my proprioception going and I am always focusing intently on what I am doing.

So keep it up and anyone who is even considering it, please give it a try.

Alex
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Hi,

I've been looking into doing more yoga, after getting as far as the yoga meditations in a mindfulness course and finding I want to do the yoga meditations every day instead of alternating between yoga and others.. I feel a real difference already from doing half an hour each morning. So I've been looking into different types to see which focus less on getting the exact postures and more on the mindfulness bit - kum nye looks good to me but it's hard to tell - any tips would be great!

Thanks,

Jenny
Dx 03/02/14
OMS 14/07/14
24 posts Page 3 of 3