9 posts Page 1 of 1
Does anyone do yoga? I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of going to classes but I think it will help my overall strength and balance.

I'm looking for a DVD that I can follow at home. Can anyone recommend a good yoga DVD?
Karen

Diagnosed Oct 1992. First major exacerbation Feb 2011.
Hi Karen,

I can recommend a.m & p.m. yoga with Rodney Yee and Patricia Waldren. It is produced by the Gaiam company and I purchased it online via rebel sport (in Australia).

It has 2 short workouts, one designed for morning and one designed for evening (hence a.m & p.m.). I like it because the workouts are only short - I can't possibly find an excuse not to do 15 mins in the morning and 18 mins at night! Also they set you up for and lead into relaxation and meditation. I haven't been very diligent at setting aside special meditation time but have always been fond of yoga so its a good way to ease into it. I find although the sessions are short I notice the positive impact they have on my day when I do them regularly.

This DVD was recommended to me by my sister, who doesn't have MS but has a busy life with 2 small children. She finds it great for general stress management.

I hope that is helpful,

Namaste!

Annette
Thanks, Annette. That actually looks perfect for me because finding time to do these things is typically by biggest challenge. Hopefully breaking it up into two smaller sessions will make it a bit more do-able.
Karen

I have a dvd called Dahn Yoga for MS. It contains a lot of energy exercises plus some more traditional yoga postures, all easy to do with variations for sitting. I feel invigorated after doing the dvd and find it easier to walk. The whole Dvd is about 50 mins, but can be done in eections of about 15 mins. I also have a dvd Yoga for MS and similar conditions, I haven't tried it yet, the exercises are more for strengthening the legs from the looks of it. Lastly, not yoga, but Shibashi - an easy entry into tai chi qi gong. I'm taking a live class for seniors, I'm the only one under 65 there, and have a chair next to me. It looks deceptively easy but works the whole body quite nicely. I have just started and can follow the class for about 30 mins standing up, then I just sit down and do the movements from there. You can find videis of it on youtube - some are with leaning down, but my teacher does not teach it that way. I love the flowing mocements and that it helps to improve my balance. The whole sequence done at home takes about 30 mins and has a meditative aspect.
I love yoga and tai chi, I did not really exercise before my diagnosis. Unfortunately I believed a physio from the MS society for a vit who told me that yoga and tai chi would be useless for me; he said I should go to the gym and do cardio & strength training. I can only assume he hasn't tried either of those modalities and am happy with my choices :)
Good luck for you on your journey!
Thanks, Maienkind.

I give you a lot of credit for going to the classes. I feel like I would learn more if I went to an actual class, but I am reluctant. I'm afraid I won't be able to do the simplest moves! I've decided that 2013 is going to be "My year of healing" so maybe I'll work up my "gumption" and go for it!
Karen

HI Karen
I would encourage you to find a yoga class. Tell the teacher that you have MS and may not be able to do all the moves, and a good teacher will listen to that and incorporate it into the class. My teacher for example says "do this move , and if you want to go further add this to it". Sometimes I can go further and sometimes I can't - usually related to balancing on one leg or something like that. But a year of once a week yoga and I have improved vastly in what I can do, and how much balance I have. And there is no pressure to "keep up".

Why not see if you can check out some classes, and find one where the teacher will encourage you. There are classes around for "Bikram Yoga" - these are done in very hot surroundings, and I don't think these would be good for people with MS. They also seem very competitive, but keep trying, the right class will be out there.

Janice
Diagnosis Apr 2010, Coeliac Nov 2010. Procrastinated a bit. Fully OMS Sept 2011.
Thanks for the encouragement, Janice. You're right, the right class for me is out there...I just have to find it.

It sounds like it's helped you a lot! That's really encouraging!
Karen

Hi Karen,

If you can't find a class, I really recommend "Kundalini Yoga to Detox and Destress" by Maya Fiennes. Kundalini yoga is very active but mainly performed in easy pose (cross-legged) so balance doesn't tend to be an issue. It also incorporates meditation, so you pretty much kill two birds with one stone.

There are a few You Tube clips around to give you the idea...
Thanks, Danielle. I'll check it out!
Karen

9 posts Page 1 of 1