17 posts Page 1 of 2
I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and since then experience leg muscle pain following exercise.I love hiking and still manage a bit of walking in the hills.I have problems sleeping ,my legs wake me sometimes up to 3 -4 times a night, more if I have been very active. ( I take Baclofene 4daily and inject copaxone )

Following all the advice I joined yoga 3 weeks ago, something I have done on and off for years,although I haven't been for about a year.

After the sessions I have slept badly and been sore and stiff the next day. I thought I would try to carry on and maybe the benefits would follow.
Last weekend I went to a 2 hour pilates class and was dreading the consequences, but I woke up after a great nights sleep refreshed. I went out walking for an hour or two, nothing strenuous and felt good, .
The morning after this I woke up really sore and stiff ,this went on for 2 more days, I had to dose up on medication to cope with the pain,also I had to sleep loads and felt really deflated by the whole thing.
I assumed it wasn't the pilates class due to the delay.... what does everyone think? Is it possible the pilates caused so much pain with a 36hour delay? I thought as it was working more on the core muscles it wouldn't bother me, but usually if I overdo it, the pain comes later that day or at least that night in bed.

Would appreciate thought. The pilates is a once a month class- the only way for me to check is to return for the next class,but the pain was bad and would prefer not to bring it on.
Does the yoga bother anyone else? Everything I read says Yoga is good for us.
A two hour Pilates class!

Pilates is intensive and two hours is a lot, perhaps divide it into an hour x 2 per month or better still per week.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
There are many different styles of yoga, and even more different styles of teaching. From what you write, I assume that the yoga class is not right for you. (i am not a yoga teacher, but have been practicing for 14+ years). One of my yoga teachers says that if you do not feel much better after a yoga class, you are in the wrong class.

Yoga is great, and a powerful medicine, and just like any medicine, used wrong can cause a lot of damage.

It sounds like you are doing a lot more than you should in any class. Yoga is not about looking at the teacher and saying, ok, anything he can do I can better.

Both in yoga and pilates, try doing a lot less, maybe find a beginner class (very important to learn the basics, in order to make the most of the class, and to keep safe), if you can , experiment with different styles of yoga.

There are 2 kinds of pain: good pain and bad pain. Good pain is the kind of pain you feel when a muscle you forgot you had starts working. Bad pain means something is wrong, and you could really be hurting yourself. Yoga is probably prefect for you, as it teaches you to listen very carefully to your body.

I practice yoga in a studio that has 5 different teachers. 3 teachers give lessons I love, and really feel the benefits, 2 teachers do things that really hurt me. ( It has nothing to do with advanced or beginner level, actually, one of the classes that is not good for me is a beginner class)
Pilates is much harder exercise than it feels at the time. In my case, I always feel noticeably better (healthier and more coordinated with steadier balance) for a few days after a class. My muscles also hurt, but in a good way.
Thank you for your replies,its good to bounce things off you all.
I don't like being a moaner at home,so its a release to 'chat' to others about what going on with my body.

I choose the pilates class as it helps with balance and core strength,a good way of keeping inner strength, the 2 hour class was the only one I could find.
I won't be going again,unless I can find an hour beginners class.
The yoga class is quite a relaxed class, I never really feel like I am pushing myself too much. I will have a chat to the teacher,I have told him I get trouble with my muscles but haven't told him I have MS. I don't like to come across as 'needy'. But I will have a chat.

Its so frustrating,I go to work approx hours 5 a day,I work in a primary classroom, I'm on my feet all the time but it seems that anything extra just pushes me over the edge.
6 days after the pilates I am only really starting to feel comfortable again. Its hard to know where my limits are these days.
Its like I am just getting slowly and quietly weaker.
I see you are in France. See if you can find a Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist or whatever it is called where you live who can do both. They have better knowledge of the body and will give you some stuff to do at home once you know the technique.

quin wrote: Thank you for your replies,its good to bounce things off you all.
I don't like being a moaner at home,so its a release to 'chat' to others about what going on with my body.

I choose the pilates class as it helps with balance and core strength,a good way of keeping inner strength, the 2 hour class was the only one I could find.
I won't be going again,unless I can find an hour beginners class.
The yoga class is quite a relaxed class, I never really feel like I am pushing myself too much. I will have a chat to the teacher,I have told him I get trouble with my muscles but haven't told him I have MS. I don't like to come across as 'needy'. But I will have a chat.

Its so frustrating,I go to work approx hours 5 a day,I work in a primary classroom, I'm on my feet all the time but it seems that anything extra just pushes me over the edge.
6 days after the pilates I am only really starting to feel comfortable again. Its hard to know where my limits are these days.
Its like I am just getting slowly and quietly weaker.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
At first I found I'd go beyond my limits too often and end up fatigued for days afterwards. For me, the answer was a slow (frustrating at the time) programme of going up to my limit, then resting, and doing this regularly gradually increased the amount I could do. Over about a year I went from swimming a few lengths (water kept me cool as I got worse when overheated, also no balance required) to walking then running on a treadmill (using the handholds to keep myself upright) to running outdoors.
I think I will resume an exercise diary to check how I am reacting to everything.
I seem to have periods.usually a week or two at a time, where I ache all the time and at the end of the day I am exhausted, this is by working in the morning,and cooking dinner for family. Resting doesn't bring much relief as then my leg pains wake me up 2-4 times a night.
I slot in an hour walking dogs 3-4days a week too.

The idea of relaxing days in between is something I will try harder to do.
I have increased baclofene from 4 to 6 daily since the pilates experience I have been taking Laroxyl - which I don't like taking - too many side effects- but it helps me sleep and keeps me sane.

Maybe there are some other drugs out there that people have success with?
Reading old posts I see you are following the diet on this OMS programme, but what about other aspects like what level is your vitamin d and do you fit in any quiet meditation time?
I found a phyiotherapist who incorporates Pilates in her practice. I would highly recommend this approach. The instructor needs to be aware of some of the challenges you are facing with exercises so that you do not hurt yourself....

A 1 hour assessment session was the starting point for me; it turned out that my core muscles were very weak (not a total shock to me since my last episode/flre up left me with numbness from my ribcage down to the top of my thigh on my left side). She recommended a series of Pilates exercises based on my requirements and also gave me some "home Pilates" exercises to do when I cannot come into her studio. (they take about 1/2 an hour - I suspect your 2 hour session is too long.) My plan is to have a once a month session with the therapist to make sure I am doing things properly and a "tune up"of my program based on progress.

Hope this advice helps!

Claire
17 posts Page 1 of 2