13 posts Page 1 of 2
dear all,

I have been searching and experimenting for quite a while, trying to find the most suitable mode of exercise for me where I am at right now... I have good experience with easy hiking un uneven ground, I have had really bad experience with trying to do jogging, a little better with easy intervals, but recently I have started doing some yoga on my own 4-5 mornings a week before meditation and breakfast... I was inspired after reading about all the positive experience that Judy Graham (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Managing-Multip ... 278&sr=1-1)seems to draw from yoga - for herself and for many others..

I use a little chart with hatha yoga asana/exercises, and pick the ones which feel intuitively right in terms of difficulty and what part of the body they focus on...

so far, after 2 weeks, my experience with this is very positive. I stay away from shoulder stand, plough posture and other asanas that seem tough on the neck (mindful about ccsvi and my recent liberation), and progress very slowly and rest in child pose or death pose several times in between asanas...

I am sure there are many other people in this network who practices some form of yoga, and would love it if we could use this discussion thread to share useful experience.

Hope to learn lots and lots from you all!

best wishes and regards,

Bjørn, Oslo
Hi there...
For whatever it is worth, I did yoga before my first (and hopefully) last attack a year ago. A few months after recovery, I began again - slowly. I have found it to be hugely beneficial. I used to run a few times a week - but I find yoga suits me better now. I do a Iyengar yoga class twice a week. I asked my teacher - whose had years of experience - which poses I should concentrate on - and she said to do all of them as they are all beneficial in their own way. I do the shoulder stand, plow etc... but not the headstand ( because I can't and I'm a bit chicken) . I am certainly no pro - but my balance (which was never great before) has certainly improved. Also I have convinced myself that if I can keep my body supple and working - I won't have another attack. I reason if everything flows - then my nerves will flow better too.
All the best,
Rachel
Both of you said that you were jogging but that this doesn't suit you anymore. I jog and do yoga but now I am considering not jogging anymore. The reason is that immediately after I jog now, i get shocks in my toes and the one today after jogging was the most intense yet, though short-lived.

I am confused about this because it only happens when I am done and walking home, some 10 minutes after a rather short jog. I don't run far and walk in between to keep my core body temperature down, plus it is really getting cold out now, but if today is any indication I am doing something wrong. Does this make sense?

If I am overheating then I don't understand how I can do any cardio except swimming. What is the experience of others doing cardio? Do you have problems when it is over or in the height of it?
hi there,

in my experience, it seemed to be for a large part the higher heart rate and stronger circulation that my body reacted against....

at least that is how it seemed to me... it is about to become winter here in Norway, so my hope is to be able to do some short and easy, gliding cross-country skiing when the tracks will be ready soon... jogging shall have to wait for a while, except I may try some micro-micro intervals (20 seconds and then walk) when I feel the time is right...

until then it is yoga for me... and slow walks, preferably in the woods, or at least among trees... if I only had a swimmingpool conveniently located, I would try swimming, too...

but for me at the moment, most important is to pace myself and get lots and lots of horizontal rest.

am curious to hear how you others continue!

bjørn, oslo
I realize my question was previously discussed in "tingling after exercise" and I don't want to distract from Bjørn's question.

With yoga, the most beneficial poses I find are those involving the upper legs--floor and standing. Standing poses that help are big triangle, downward facing dog, warrior, etc. Sitting poses that stretch the hamstring are also essential for me (simply leaning forward and touching my toes).

I also start my routine with a half moon pose but I do this on the floor (and also standing later). This is really important because I get a strange tightness to the lower left of my belly button that is only relieved with yoga and really needs stretching out quite frequently. So maybe the point is try out a lot of poses and the one that shows you where you need to be concentrating will reveal itself. On a side note I just read that this spot in my lower torso is the seat of vata in ayurvedic medicine. Technically vata inbalance would start here, then lead to migraines for example and in extreme imbalance nervous system disorders (which was my pattern at least). That was fascinating to read, but an ayurvedic diet to balance vata would include introducing lots of oils and avoiding broccoli (the horror), so I will stick with OMS!
We must have written at the same time...
Hi there,

I've been doing yoga for many years - it felt like a natural progression from the gymnastics I enjoyed as a child. Over the years, I have practiced basic hatha yoga and more challenging astanga flowing yoga but nowadays, I have settled on Kundalini yoga and find it really energising and positive.

Kundalini yoga is a very spiritual yoga where asanas are only part of the practice - chanting and meditation are equally important components. In Kundalini, different chakras are released by performing different asanas, chants and meditative exercises. The root chakra at the base of the spine is the first to be worked on, moving onwards and upwards until the Crown chakra is finally cleared. Each chakra is associated with different aspects of the self, which feels to me like it fits very well with the mind-body connection discussed on this forum, and when a chakra is cleared through physical asanas and spiritual chanting and meditation, there is a corresponding growth in feelings of wellness.

Maya Fiennes is an excellent Kundalini teacher - I recommend her Kundalini Yoga to Detox and De-stress as a good starting point, if anyone is interested -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kundalini-Yoga-Detox-stress-featuring/dp/B000NJLQWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1290097998&sr=8-1

Sat nam,
I've done about 8 sessions in the past 3 months - it's at the YMCA near my house. I feel wonderful after every session and wanted to cry the first time I felt good from a stretch or felt warm in my own body again.

I want to learn how to do a routine at my home with my own pad. I'm looking at some DVDs.

Does anyone do it at home?
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
I do it at home, and prefer that to joining a group, because I can totally follow my own rhythm and listen inside for clues as to what poses to do, how long to be in each pose, how many repetitions to do, how much to rest in between poses, how long to work out...

I have come to be convinced that this healing is so much about reconnecting the previously so badly splintered parts of myself and becoming whole and united again in body, mind and spirit.

I find yoga to be a very good tool for that - but doing it with a group easily puts the focus on the external aspects again.

I use a little chart with hatha yoga poses, and also have a couple of dvds (one iyengar yoga, one kundalini) and a couple of books that I intend to study when the time is right... maybe during Christmas holiday?

have a merry yogic Christmas!

b
Thanks.

You know, after my exacerbation, I could not touch my nose with my eyes closed and when I would scratch my ear, it felt very strange.

I'm reminded of a baby doing the same thing when it touches it mouth - its brain has not quite learned where everything is.

We have to re-teach our brains. Maybe that's what we're doing by exercising - making new pathways in the brain and spine to do the same things. And if we can keep ahead of the disease, we keep being able to do what we're doing. So doing the poses is re-teaching our brains where everything is, what it feels like, etc.

I suspce that's what I saw people doing in the video from the retreat that Dr. Jelenik hosts. They were touching their ears and parts of their body.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
13 posts Page 1 of 2