9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

In another thread, the use of a Pilates reformer and Pilates exercises without a reformer was discussed and a suggestion made that a new topic on the subject might attract interesting discussion.

So, here we go:

The only downside of the Pilates reformer is the cost ... and perhaps the size of it, though you can get some that are more easily stored out of the way. Oh, and it's not portable when you go on holidays. Whereas if you learn to do Pilates exercises without a reformer, you can do this anywhere and costs nothing more than the initial education.

It is VERY important to be taught to use the reformer correctly, by a qualified person.

The upside ... EXTREMELY effective muscle strengthening for small amount of time invested in working out. Particularly good for strengthening the core muscles, ie., the ones which hold our spine in correct alignment and prevent us from having low back pain. Really good for people with mobility or balance issues, as you can lie down whilst you work out.

I think there must be many people out there with far more knowledge of Pilates than me .... contributions anyone?
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
My physiotherapist, who specializes in neurological disorders, is working with me to strengthen my muscles. She swears by the Pilates reformer and says it is exactly what I need to stabilize the muscles which are trying to hold me up. MS has made my muscles weak and, as a result, I am fatiguing quickly, doing day-to-day things, and have begun getting scoliosis as a result of weak back muscles and extra tone. Actually, my whole body is weak which triggers a lot more fatigue because I have to work harder when I need to do anything. I really need to strengthen my muscles...

I tried a reformer, led by an instructor, and found it to be very smooth, easy to use with lots of variety for exercising numerous body parts. It was gentle on my body and I could work on it longer than I thought I could.

I've worked out a lot before my MS symptoms progressed to the point where I could no longer continue. It's now time for me to replace all that equipment with a reformer. I plan to be purchase one and be coached by an instructor on it and without for when I'm away from home. I will post again once I have more experience but would love to hear what you have to say.
Sorry this is a bit late to the topic, I only just joined.

I do a combination: Weekly pilates class with a physio (mostly reformer, some cadilac and mat and chair etc), and at home do the mat exercises I do in my class, and if the other equipment exercises have mat versions then I do them too.

I hope to eventually afford my own reformer as I just love using them (it's so relaxing even when it's difficult!), in which case I'd drop the frequency of my physio lessons to probably once a month to check I was still using correct form and to progress me to new exercises when appropriate.

The classes I currently do are share clases so theres 3 people and 1 physio, all doing our own different exercises. Much cheaper than 1-on-1 physio pilates sessions. I'd never go to a regular pilates mat class at a gym or similar as the instructors there don't really understand a non-textbook body.
I did a pilates class for a while. Not using a reformer, just floor mats as it wasn't a physio but a group class at the gym next to my old workplace. I was very lucky - I went along with a colleague who'd spotted the class, I had a quick chat to the instructor first and found out that she had MS too - what a role model! It was only 45 mins once per week but within the first 3 weeks I was noticing clear improvements in balance and coordination - like suddenly I could put my pants on without needing to sit on the bed while I got my feet through the trouuser legs :shock:

No longer work there, so I haven't been in ages, but I still do occasional pilates practise at home, just probably not as often as I should.
I've been using my reformer at home and absolutely LOVE IT! I'm using it about 3 times a week and am feeling some great results. It is reducing pain and stiffness and increasing my flexibility, circulation, energy and sense of well being.I definitely recommend it to anyone with MS. My most debilitating MS symptom is fatigue but I'm able to use the Pilates reformer because it does not require a lot of effort. It is actually relaxing and I never want to do without.
I find it's good to do 10 minutes of Pilates just prior to meditation, and, in a perfect day, just after vigorous exercise. So, vigorous exercise, followed by Pilates, followed by meditation .... when possible.

I also find that my balance and walking are better for a day after doing Pilates, even though none of the exercises I do are specifically for balance - all on the reformer.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Hello!

I have had a few lessons with the reformer and my aunty is lucky enough to let me use her when she wants.
I cannot tell you the difference over 1 month that the reformer does. My legs are stronger. My foot drop is soooo much better. PLEASE PLEASE if you are thinking about the reformer get some lessons and do it. Its worth every single penny.

Not only will you have fabulous legs and core you will gain so much strength without realising!

Sophie :)
Recovering wrote: I've been using my reformer at home and absolutely LOVE IT! .

This fantastic to read :-) hope this is having an all round positive affect for you
Hello.iv been using an ellencroft supreme pilates machine .its cheaper great.has resistance springs.only downside nowadats is its really only for sale on ebay uk.really worth a look though
9 posts Page 1 of 1