29 posts Page 2 of 3
Hi all,

I'm pleased to see Pilates as a topic here. Angela has the right idea here. Before MS stopped me I was a group exercise instructor and personal trainer. I am also trained in Physio Pilates. I completely agree that one on one sessions are the best to maximise the benefits. Pilates was invented by Joseph Pilates during WW2 to rehabilitate injured soldiers. Post war he became popular with ballet dancers as the exercise promotes strength and flexibilty while maintaining lean musculature.

Unfortunately with the rapid expansion of the fitness industry there are many 'gym' trained Pilates instructors out there. In this environment instructors have to come up with bigger, harder, faster to satisfy the competitve nature of many gym goers. This is often dangerous and can cause more problems than benefit. It is extremely important as Angela says to activate the right muscles. This can be very hard to achieve for some people even one on one. An appropriately qualified and experienced instructor can identify problems and find methods to improve them. In a group situation this is very difficult as you can't be everywhere.

My advice would be to find well qualified individuals first and foremost. One on one is great if you can afford it at least for six to ten sessions. Otherwise small groups of no more than six to ten. Please avoid Dvd's unless you have been assessed and know that you have good activation. There are many out there and few of good quality.

Cheers,
Vicki
Hi,

and thank you all for this thread. Following George's program as best I can since February, I am doing well with diet and with a habit of meditating and also with exploring deeply into all kinds of mind-body connections...

on exercise, I have so far not been able to establish a good routine. That is why this thread is so inspiring.

I have never tried Pilates, but lately have joined a once-a-week class of QiGong for people with CFS/ME (even though I do not share their diagnosis). It feels like a good thing to be doing, and to the best of my knowledge Qigong must be offering much the same benefits as Pilates? What do you think?

Recently I have started doing the exercises also at home, guided by a CD, even though I discover that it is a lot more powerful to do it with the group... do you experience the same? that there is somehow extra support in a collective group effort?

all the best to all of you wonderful people, and stay well!

bjørn
Hi Wendy you must have been doing Pilates for about a month now.
How is it going?
Angela
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
It's going well, my leg movement control is improving and I'm surprising myself how flexible I am - the best in the class! There's no feeling that I am less able than anyone else as all of the exercises are on a mat. I managed them all last night, and can feel in my middle this morning that I have done some work.

I recommend Pilates and will be continuing with the classes. Just one class a week in the small town where I live unfortunately, but can practice at home.

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
That's excellent Wendy I hope our example will encourage others to try Pilates.
I too am always surprised at what I can do and how fast my body responds.

I am not surprised either that you are doing so well. Yay for being the best in the class heehee!
You will find you are ok on the reformers too; they are not as scary as they look....

Just having one session a week is ok though because as you say you can do it at home.
I too have a session once a week and then have worked up to on average 3 times myself at home.
Having to walk over the Pilates mat everytime I walk across my room helps!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

My progress: as above the Pilates is going well. I can now do 30 mins walking with hills on most days on the treadmill.
Still have to hang on and speed never goes over 3.5 but I am moving and getting stronger and that's alll that matters.

Angela

Ps get yourself one of those thick rollers; they will kill your legs at first but it helps with the tight IT - not computer :-) band up the side of your thighs and this will help with your walking too.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Angela, the class is run in our local rec centre so we don't have any equipment other than mats and toning balls. I have been using a swiss ball at home for a few months now (just sitting on it to watch the news is great for stability) and have started doing some of my pilates exercises using it, and I will try the foam roller you suggest.
Wendy
Wendy

Hi Wendy are you begining to feel the benefits of your Pilates?
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Hi Angela, it's going well. I can feel my middle getting stronger, and also my right leg control is slowly improving.

Wendy

PS I'm hoping to try Nordic Walking next month!
Wendy

That sounds like great progress!
My Pilates instructor suggested Nordic walking for something different ( I need to hold onto something) so let us know how it goes.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Resurrecting this topic because I've just started on doing weekly pilates in the hope that it'll improve my balance.
I find aerobic exercise tough because as soon as I heat up, my balance goes completely wonky (did a 10K run for charity last year - trying to beat my time this year, but |I really struggled with balance during the run last time round). Swimming is good, but I no longer work near a swimming pool. Walking is good, but not exactly intense exercise.
29 posts Page 2 of 3