29 posts Page 3 of 3
Good on you!
I still continue with Pilates and Treadmill work it keeps my body moving which is so essential.
Having to report in each week with my Pilates instructor keeps me on track with exercise and focused/motivated.
Please keep us up to date with your progress :D
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Early days so far - but I found that first pilates class left me feeling really good for the few days afterwards - felt more in control of my balance. I'll definitely be going again! Probably going to look at getting a pilates book and exercise mat so I can work out at home too :-)
Hi suggestion: save yourself the money and leave the book for now, it is really important to do it correctly and most of us need correction which is hard to get from a book/DVD.
Your instructor should give you handouts which you can take home and do as a home program. Good on you for planning to do some at home because that makes all the difference to your progress.
I see you are doing a class, it may be beneficial eventhough it is more expensive to have some one-on-one sessions, even just once a month and then your program can be specific to your needs :-)
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Another great pilates class yesterday lunchtime, and again (that was my 3rd one) I can definitely feel the benefits - balance already seems improved :-) I've just ordered a mat on Amazon so I can start practising at home (floorboards in the lounge and lino over concrete in the kitchen, so not at all comfy for floor exercises).
So far, I've found I always feel better for a day or 2 after a pilates class. I'm noticing an improvement in my balance and general physical coordination. This seems to be a great exercise for people with MS (or at least for me).
Yes I have had huge benefits from it too and I find the more effort I put into doing it at home as well the stronger I get.
It is perfect for everyone but particularly good for someone like us with Neurological issues. As you are doing it, it not only strengthens etc but it is helping your brain to rewire. (neuroplasticity)

I've found it facinating how I can start an exercise and I can't seem to get it together, then all of a sudden it is like all lights are on and engaged it does it extremely well. Particularly with trunk exercises which I am weak with.

Would like to know if others have a similar experience.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Something I've noticed is the exercises directly helping with mundane everyday movements - it's so much easier to control slowly sitting down, or holding one leg raised off the floor while putting on a pair of trousers. I love the way the breathing patterns fit in with the physical movements - all feels very natural and right when I've got the movement correct.
I am signed up to start on the next introductory course which is 5 weeks long in 3 weeks time.
In the mean time I have been going to a body balance session once a week (been twice so far) whulst wiating for the Pilates place. Hass been OK but hard and can't do some stuff like Tree pose... but having a go works muscles not normally worked so I keep at it. Worst in class mind.
Yee ha Veg! let us know how you go with it :D
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Just a short experience of how an MSer was helped by Pilates.
http://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/communit ... dobbs.html
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
29 posts Page 3 of 3