21 posts Page 1 of 3
I have been having some fantastic results swimming!

I had been going to the gym 3-5 times a week since about May 2011 and stretching or doing pilates type exercises at home. I must say it was only because of being so strict on the OMS diet that I was able to have the energy to do this much. Some days in the gym I wasn't able to do very much but forced myself to go anyway. I had found that although I wasn't getting any worse I didn't really feel like I was getting any fitter and I could never get my cardio levels above 15 minutes on the cross trainer, my legs were still very stiff and my balance wasn't improving despite all my efforts.

This was just so frustrating especially as I used to be so fit, in my previous life I used to do triathlon and play a lot of tennis. So why I hadn't thought of it before I don't know but about 2 weeks ago I was extra bored in the gym so went to the pool instead and oh my god... after just 10 lengths of a very dodgy front crawl (couldn't get my legs to bend in the water so had to just used my arms), 2 lengths of walking and some stretching, the next day my body felt amazing! I could pick my left leg up properly when walking, stand without holding on to anything while boiling the kettle in the morning and my left hip wasn't sore on waking for the first time in months!

These benefits lasted for less than hour but since then I've been swimming instead of going to the gym and have noticed my improved strength is lasting a bit longer, not much longer but enough for me to notice the difference and to give me the incentive to keep going with it.

I'm now up to 20 lengths front crawl (about 4 of which with kicking legs... hooray!!), 2 lengths walking forwards, 1 length walking backwards, and 1 length on my back with a float some kicking and some just floating.

Not only am I noticing my strength improving, my cardio is also improving as I'm in the pool for 20-30 minutes with my heart rate increased for most of the time.

When I get dressed in the morning now, I can lift my feet onto the edge of the bed to put my socks on instead of having to lean to the floor. I can also lift my legs in and out of the shower instead of having to precariously swing them over the edge of the bath.

I'm so excited as for the first time in months I'm seeing some improvements and all the effort in changing my lifestyle to an OMS lifestyle are more than paying off. I think I probably started the lifestyle about 18months ago but it took a good 6months to wholly adopt it.. who knows what might happen next!

Katie
Fantastic news Katie. What a breakthrough! Stay cool in the pool!

Loz.
Congratulations Katie... It's news/reports like this that keep me and others going! Keep up the good work...
Jack
Diagnosis: Jul 2009
OMS: Jan 2010
Hats off to you Katie, encouraging indeed. Maybe especially about your finding that it takes a really long time for results to show through. It can be easy to doubt. I wonder just what is going on when we un-stiffen ourselves. But the message and your example seem to be to move, move, move.
That's fantastic. I recently started swimming as well. My crawl is also dodgy, so for now I am using the paddle board and kicking. It's quite a workout and my legs feel like magic afterwards.

It's not just a diet, is it? I love how I feel these days.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Well after all of your words of encouragement and praise I forced myself to go today when I really didn't feel like it. I now feel better than ever. I was able to do more in the pool than last time.. 24 lengths! I was also able to do more kicking than last time and managed a full length (33m pool) of lying on my back and kicking with a float, saying that it was probably more like 1.5 lengths as I certainly didn't swim in a straight line.

I staggered out of the pool, and think I must of looked quite a sight judging by the alarmed looks I was getting and the amount of people who asked me if I needed any help! Crutches on a wet changing room floor didn't exactly help my situation either.

However, 4 hours later I feel like I'm floating, my legs feel fantastic, I can pick my feet up when I walk and I generally feel a million times better. It sounds like we're having similar swimming results Alex.

I did try swimming before starting the OMS lifestyle and found the whole experience too exhausting, it really feels like it's the diet etc that is giving me the energy and motivation to be able to try it again and this time stick with it.

Staying cool in the pool is the way forward!

Katie
Fantastic. So inspiring & heart warming. Made me smile that you got extra distance in by not swimming in a straight line. You both inspired me. I keep talking about going swimming (don't like pools)....
That is so brilliant :)

I would love to swim in a pool (I have to use the sea when I can, rarely) as I would loose my bladder constantly, exercising that is challenging is still causing my bladder to fail misserably. I just recall the old story that your pee goes purple... lol, anyway in the pool would not be great but in the changing rooms even worse.
This morning I did something I never thought I would be able to do, and that was take my 3 year old swimming!

I'm absolutely shattered and will be going to bed VERY early tonight. It's all the being cold, getting warm, having showers, carrying wet towels and swimsuits, 2 flights of steps to the pool (chair lifts not working), and back again, trying to control an excited 3 year old in the changing rooms (apparently he always plays hiding in a locker with Daddy when they go swimming), providing snacks etc etc... that make it extra tiring.

Very much worth it though, it was one of the things I'd dared let myself dream of doing when I started on the OMS program 18months ago. After a while though the thought went from my mind as despite feeling slowly more energised there was no way I had the physical or mental strength to make it happen.

18 months of lifestyle changes and an extra big effort swimming and look what can happen... I think you should go for it gumnut!

In England apparently pool water turns red and I must say it's a myth that has stuck with me too. Would starting with a really short swim and then very slowly increasing the length of time you're in the water for build your confidence?

Katie
KatieRose wrote:
These benefits lasted for less than hour but since then I've been swimming instead of going to the gym and have noticed my improved strength is lasting a bit longer, not much longer but enough for me to notice the difference and to give me the incentive to keep going with it.

I'm now up to 20 lengths front crawl (about 4 of which with kicking legs... hooray!!), 2 lengths walking forwards, 1 length walking backwards, and 1 length on my back with a float some kicking and some just floating.

Katie - that's amazing! You can't imagine how great it is to hear such great results.

I started swimming 2 weeks ago as well. I used a paddle board and kick up and back. The first week I could only do 5 laps, but last week I did 10. When I was on the elliptic on Tuesday, I noticed I was going longer without getting tired.

What's also interesting is how you say the results keep lasting longer. In "The Brain That Changes Itself", there are cases where people are given some sort of brain exercise treatment. For example, a woman was receiving a treatment for balance issues. At first, she would improve for only few hours after and then with time, the effects would last longer and longer. So this makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the good news!
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
21 posts Page 1 of 3