6 posts Page 1 of 1
hello,

wanted to ask if it's ok to swim during relapse?

At the moment, I can't walk very well....so slow and need walking poles while around busy places and sometimes difficult to get up from floor. When I went swimming on Tuesday, I was godsmacked how slow my legs were compare to my arms and end up buying training floader for legs and went today, it helped so much ( was murder to get in the pool but was lucky the pool had steps with rail so I could walk down rather than climb down.). Took my first steroid today.....

Thanks
Hi Redcow,

Any exercise is okay, anytime, so long as you don't overdo it. George recommends that we do half an hour, five times a week of "vigorous" exercise. I asked him the meaning of "vigorous" and his response was that it was to get your heart rate to one and half times its resting rate. So, if your resting rate is 70 bpm, then during vigorous exercise it should be 105 bpm.

During a relapse, it may not be feasible to do vigorous exercise. Just do what you can, and what leaves you feeling good. Swimming is excellent, as it keeps you cool, and because it supports your weight, you are far less likely to injury yourself.

I hope your relapse is short-lived.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Thanks Sue, will take your advice - it seems easy to overdo it while on steroid! lucky I couldn't yesterday! Will go for walk and do little yoga today - can't drive at mom so no swimming trips this weekend so will take easy. It's all bit bewilded, quite difficult to stay positive but being signed off work helps to relax about it, less things to worry about!

have good weekend x
Hi Redcow,

Read the section in the book where Prof Jelinek describes his behaviour after his first course of steroids ... I think he definitely overdid it! :lol:
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Just read the part about George over did with his running -
I do know the feeling of feeling good as I felt it while I was swimming yesterday, think did overdid as I feel worn out today! at least I get to experience the feeling and knowing hope's there whatever the results from steroid comes.
Thanks Sue.
x
Hi Redcow

I exercised during my recent relapse, which lasted for about 5 weeks. The last 3 days of it, I was on IV steroids in hospital. I did a mixture of stationery bike riding, swimming and yoga but I was fit before my relapse so I was just keeping things going but to a lesser degree. The steroids really helped allot but took about two weeks to take effect. I know that every relapse and every person is different. I'm just trying to stay as fit and as healthy as I possibly can so if I do relapse then the impact might not be as great. This was my first relapse so this is my theory and strategy for me.

Just be kind to yourself and take allot of rest breaks, as this was crucial for me.

Good luck.
Sharon
6 posts Page 1 of 1