15 posts Page 2 of 2
I forgot to mention something in my previous post in regards to swimming and that is the importance of rest between laps.

I have been swimming for years so when I was dx I was luckily fit. I now swim 80 laps (25 mtr pool) two to three times a week and I know that probably sounds insane to most people with MS but for me I find it easier than walking. I have a good rest with under water stretching in between 4 lots of 20 laps. In each group of 20, I do 10 freestyle and 10 freestyle with a float between my legs as this works more on the core and then rest after in the water as this is mandatory for me. The days I swim, I have far more energy than any other day and far less aches in my legs.

I know allot of people struggle with swimming due to bad technique etc but I can't encourage everyone enough to persist with this exercise as for me it helps with all aspects of my MS.

Like you Teena, sometimes I feel part fish too.

Happy swimming
Sharon

I forgot to mention something in my previous post in regards to swimming and that is the importance of rest between your laps. Depending on how fit you were when you took up swimming.

I have been swimming for years so when I was dx I was luckily fit. I now swim 80 laps (25 mtr pool) two to three times a week and I know that probably sounds insane to most people with MS but for me I find it less tiring than walking. I have a good rest with under water stretching in between 4 lots of 20 laps. In each group of 20, I do 10 freestyle and 10 freestyle with a float between my legs as this works more on the core and then rest after in the water as this is mandatory. The days I swim, I have far more energy than any other day and far less aches in my legs.

I know alot of people struggle with swimming due to bad technique etc but I can't encourage everyone enough to persist with this exercise as for me it helps with all aspects of my MS.

Like you Teena, sometimes I feel part fish too.

Happy swimming
Sharon
So glad I inspired you in the pool Karen and that your heart rate improved..swimming is definitely worth sticking to!
Katie
Just to agree with Sharon re: lessons or instruction.

I have always been a leisure swimmer - just dive under the water and generally float about.
So I decided to ask a friend who plays water polo to come with me swimming last week for the first time to do laps.
She gave me some great tips on technique - how to breathe on the side, arm stroke and leg kicking.

My biggest problem was that the bottom half of me tends to starting sinking after half a lap - meaning my legs are getting tired and stop kicking enough.

But you guys are definitely right in that it feels great after. My legs almosts felt normal !!!
Am going to try to go once a week.

Jo
hi,

i have been trying different breast stroke techniques over the past couple of weeks this is what i found,
when you are not trying to surface for a breath i generally angle my hands flat towards the end of the pool or towards the top of the water to help keep your body under water.

when i want to surface for breathing in regular breast stroke;
- half way around the big circle you form with your hands out in front, i angle my hands towards the bottom of the pool like i am trying to push up so my head and shoulders come to the surface.
- using this push action and just before i bring my hands together under my chest my legs are drawn up as far as i can manage towards my bottom.
- when my hands are together then i kick with my legs out frog kick style and shoot my hands out front and glide for a little bit.

as others have stated its very much about technique and timing, if your kick gets out of time with your hand and arm arm action it is hard to lift your head for a breath.

this is all good when you have the energy to do it, some days it feels like a great achievement just to get in the water?
1st sign no diagnosis Oct 1999, DX 2007, SPMS 2011.
Catriona - lessons, what a great idea!!

Jbraeck - I kicked for months with a kick board. The legs to take some conditioning. Now i'm able (still need lessons) to focus on my arms while my legs do their thing automatically. But I'm still not very proficient, I should add.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
15 posts Page 2 of 2