27 posts Page 3 of 3
Hi Diggity

Sorry - I wasn't accusing you of being insensitive; I just think it's important not to make OMS seem like a cooking programme! Some people might get put off if it sounds too difficult. I totally agree that cooking from scratch is preferred, but there are a few things on the market that are OMS compliant and can make life easier for those of us that are not as able.

No hard feelings!

Rachel
Diggity im not in the UK but the first place I would look is an Italian grocer or search online and see if there are any local suppliers.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
hi,

actually as far as pizza is concerned you don't even have to invent an OMS friendly version, it exists: a better pizzeria should sell "Pizza Marinara" (or "pizza rossa", red pizza). It is the original Neapolitan pizza, it only has tomato sauce (and garlic, next to the regular spices like oregano)...no cheese at all. Most pizzerias will also have no problem leaving the cheese off any other pizza you would care for. If they cannot accommodate you it means they serve frozen pizza. Some seafood pizze also come without cheese (because in Italian cuisine it is often considered not done to combine fish and cheese). Like other people have mentioned I have seen table guests eyeing my pizza with envy, because usually the only thing they taste is the cheese, often too much of it, which makes them feel bloated afterwards. My girlfriend, who is otherwise a cheese eater, has become a big fan of cheeseless pizza.

As for a recipe: pizza dough (again traditionally) should consist only of flour, yeast, salt and water (with the possibility of some olive oil). It is a bread dough. I cannot give exact measurements, because by now I don't bother measuring anymore, but let's say 500gr of flour (I prefer 80 to 100% whole wheat), 10gr of fresh yeast, a pinch of salt and about 20cl of lukewarm water. Crumble the yeast in the lukewarm water and wait about 10 minutes for it to become active (i.e. foaming on the surface of the water), add the pinch of salt to the flour (add this point you can be fancy and for instance add oregano, or chilli, or black pepper, or...) to the flour as well. Add the yeast/water to the flour and start kneading the dough should be elastic, it should stick to your fingers. If it doesn't stick to your fingers add some water, if it is too sticky add some flour...the more you knead it the better, it should eventually stop sticking to your fingers and become a very homogeneous dough. Then cover it with a cloth, put it in a warm draft free space and let it rise for at least a couple of hours. A fanatic would then knead it a second time and let is rise again (some restaurants will even let is rise the second time over night. But you could also just process it after the first rise. take your dough pin and flatten the dough over a floured surface, personally I like my pizza crust as thin as possible. Then spread your tomato sauce over it, with the toppings of your choice (you can be true to the marinara and just add garlic, but you can also add anchovies, olives, vegetables (some might benefit from a preliminary steaming).
While the crust is the number 1 actor of the pizza, it is closely followed by the tomato sauce...try to be creative, make a very good one (try to let most of the water evaporate out of it), possibly with fresh tomatoes.
It should go for about 25 minutes in the oven at about 180°C.
You can use exactly the same dough to make fruit pies. Same proceeding (until the tomato sauce) and then put nicely ripe sweet fruit on it (it is plum season over here right now and I happen to have one with plums in the oven). No need to add sugar if your fruit is sweet enough. Here you can also experiment with additions to the flour before kneading, like cinnamon or vanilla. Whenever I make one of these it never lasts long, and I don't eat most of it.
I guess you could use dry yeast instead of fresh yeast, but I have no experience with dry yeast.

bon appetit,

Guy
Great suggestion for fruit pie thanks my imagination is working overtime!
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Well thank you so much everyone for opening my eyes to pizza without cheese! It has been a delicious experiment! I've had pizza everyday for about a week! So far I've been using salmon or tuna as the kind of 'meat' element, which works very well.

So a typical pizza for me has been a dairy and gluten free base which I sourced from tescos from their 'free from' range. Tescos tomato and chill pizza sauce, 0.2 saturates. Then the tuna or salmon spread out, I've been experimenting with plain tuna/salmon for this, (or the john west sensations flavours. They have a little sat fat but well within limits.) Then I use a mix of the following (so far) red/green or yellow peppers, onions, mushrooms, sweetcorn, spinach, prawns, chilli, anchovies and before I put it in the oven I drizzled a little tabasco smoky sauce over it. I can tell you it was a delight to enjoy a pizza again that was healthy! I don't miss the cheese at all, in fact it's much better without it! Now I'm dreaming up new combinations to try out, and I'm going to try making the base from scratch too thanks to the shared recipes here!
This is nothing to do with OMS as such, but Tesco have the best standards for sustainable tuna fishing and John West have the worst:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 56126.html

Also, have you tried capers and pine nuts? They work really well.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
Yeah agreed, I'm not a fan of John West's fishing practises. If I can get a tesco equivalent of the infusions range I'll definately go for that, they're invariably cheaper too! The pine nuts sound lovely, I never thought of those!
27 posts Page 3 of 3