12 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi Everyone,
I just came across a recipe for an anti-inflammatory drink.

Mix into water:
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 tspn tumeric
1/4 tspn Himalayan pink salt
Drink first thing in the morning before you drink or eat anything.

Trying it for the first thing this morning. I don't have all the ingredients on hand. Have put them on my shopping list.

Also great for inflammation are; cloves, ginger, and cinnamon.
So this morning I've filled my water bottle and have added a 1/4 tspn of cayenne pepper, a 1/4 tspn of cinnamon, a pinch of Himalayan sea salt. It's not bad, until I stock up on the other ingredients.

Does anyone else do this? And if so, how is it working for you?
Interested in hearing how others feel about drinking this anti-inflammatory concoction first thing in the morning?

I'm willing to try anything that will enhance the anti-inflammatory OMS diet, that I'm already following.
I had my 6 month follow up with my Neurologist yesterday. He notes no changes, so I know I'm on the right path. At least he doesn't note any continued progression, which gives me continued hope:).

Have a great day,
Marilyn
hi marilyn
i've sometimes drink a cinnamon mixture (with water just) (ceylon cinnamon) and i have tumeric in my cupboard so anything anti-inflammatory is good.
Where did you get the recipe ?
Hi Colum,
I read it on Facebook this morning, and then I googled anti-inflammatory spices.
Lots of information confirming, facts on each one, and the health benefits.
So anything I can ingest that fights inflammation is a plus...can't hurt! Lol
Marilyn
Hello Marilyn,

Starting the day with an anti-inflammatory drink sounds a great idea. I'll definitely be following up the links you posted. Thanks for sharing them!

According to something I read the other day, there might be a case for adding the flaxseed oil to the mix, along with a bit of freshly ground pepper?

Nutritionist Rose Glover, in the post below, makes the point that turmeric - a brilliant anti-inflammatory - is fat soluble and that unless we consume something oily at the same time as the turmeric, it will pass straight through the body. And that piperine (pepper) increases the body's ability to absorb turmeric by an amazing 200%!

I am currently having my daily turmeric capsule at the same time that I have my flaxseed oil superfood drink, well seasoned with freshly ground black pepper, but maybe I now need to add cinnamon and all the other things you mention!

http://www.roseglovernutrition.com/turm ... lammatory/

Jette
The Gut Microbiome is KEY to optimal health.
The OMS site & forum are brilliant! Thanks, everyone! :D
Thanks for the added info Jette!

I find the anti-inflammatory drink tastes better when I add cinnamon. Will definitely try adding to it, and tweeking it as I go on.

Will definitely try out your suggestions as well.

Have a great day,
Marilyn
Hi again Jette,

Made my drink this morning. I didn't have any flax oil. I take a daily flax oil supplement. What I did have on hand was lemon flavoured cod liver oil. So I added a tablespoon to my drink. I'm hoping that this will help my body absorb the tumeric.

Thanks again for that important piece of information!

Marilyn
Glad to have been of help, Marilyn! Bit concerned, though, at your mention of 'a daily flax oil supplement'. Most of these capsules contain 1 or 2 ml at most and we are supposed to take between 20 and 40 ml of Omega 3 oil a day. That equates something like 20 capsules a day, so most of us end up taking the liquid form, and either disguising it in various ways, or drizzling it on food ;)

Jette
Hi Jette,
You're justified in your concern...lol
I know I need to do better; however, I can't stand the taste! :(
So in order to get my omega 3, I beef ( pun not intended...lol) up my diet with foods that do contain omega 3s. I also include daily; lemon flavoured cod liver oil, cod liver, flax, and salmon oil capsules.
I suppose I can take more flax oil capsules...
What do you do to get your daily requirement?
Marilyn
Hi Marilyn,

It is clearly the Omega 3, rather than the flax oil itself, that is good for people with MS, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with having your omega 3 intake from a variety of sources. I think the reason the OMS programme recommends flax oil is that is has a lower saturated fat content than fish oil (flax oil 9% saturated fat; fish oil 30 % saturated fat).

Set against that, I believe it is harder for our bodies to get all of the 'good stuff' out of a plant-based Omega 3 source than is the case with an Omega 3 fish oil (there are 3 forms of Onega 3, we need all three and a plant based Omega 3 g like flax oil gives us one kind and the body has to make the other two - a process that depends on quite a lot of other things being just right).

An interesting 3rd Omega 3 option that has only recently become available is algae oil. Fish make their Omega 3 from things growing in the sea (seaweed, plankton & algae) so inspired scientists have hit upon the idea of bypassing the fish and making Omega 3 oil out of the algae instead. I need to do more reading on this to get my facts straight but I am pretty certain I came across a reference to algae oil only containing 4% saturated fat - i.e. even less than flax oil. AND being much better sources of the other 2 types of Omega 3 that our bodies need. Which makes it sound very interesting from an OMS point of view!

So far, I can only find algae oil in capsule form here in the UK but those lucky enough to live in the US have access to Thrive culinary algae oil. Along with lots of health benefits, this apparently has an even higher smoking point than Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) so there might be a case for US-based OMSers ncorporating this product into the diet? http://www.thrivealgae.com/thrive-algae-oil/

As far as flax oil goes, you could consider having it as milled flax seed, rather than oil? According to flaxfarm.co.uk:
Cold-pressed linseed oil: 3.0 g Omega 3 (ALA type) per 5ml teaspoon
Ground linseed: 2.0 g Omega 3 (ALA type) per 10ml dessertspoon

I cope with the flax oil in the following way: 15ml of chia seed (another good source of Omega 3) soaked in juice of 1/2 lemon for 30 min, add 20ml flax oil, top up with fruit juice, add heaped teaspoon Moringa powder + 7/8 grinds of a pepper mill. Drink at same time as having daily turmeric supplement - https://www.healthspan.co.uk/products/opti-turmeric

I added Moringa powder to the drink after reading this article:
https://draxe.com/moringa-benefits/

The reasoning behind the lemon juice is that it cuts through the greasiness of the flax oil & that the vitamin C helps get maximum benefit out of the iron in the chia seed & Moringa powder.

Good luck with your Omega 3 journey!

Jette
Wow Jette, tons of interesting info!
Thank you so much.
I ordered myself some cold pressed organic flaxseed oil yesterday. Once that arrives, I'll start by drizzling that over my salads. If I need to disguise the taste, then I'll mix it with evoo and lemon juice or balsamic vinegar. I just need to get over my dislike for it and continue to do all that I can to take care of this body.
It's so great to be able to come on here and ask questions, when unsure.
Reassuring to know that I'm on the right track.
Thanks again,
Marilyn
12 posts Page 1 of 2