28 posts Page 1 of 3
I wanted to get some nutritional snack ideas from others. I do like to snack and have been doing so on things like pretzels (which have no nutritional value, but arent "bad" for you), and chocolate soy pudding. I wanted to know first off, if I am doing myself any "harm" by eating these kinds of snacks when I am eating a nutritional and plant/whole foods based diet for my main meals and also for some in-between snacks.

Secondly, I wanted to get some good whole food snack ideas (besides homemade hummus and nuts/seeds, if anyone has some to share.

Thank-you all!
Hi.

Blue Diamond have some new rice/almond crackers which can really satisfy a chip/crisp craving. They're going after the special diet market and are gluten free. They taste like Japanse rice crackers (Sembe)

Blue Diamond also makes roasted almonds, though I suspect there is a problem with roasting (I'm not through UDO's book yet)

Sardines are always good in a pinch.

Frozen vegetable gyoza (pot stickers) are a nice savory treat and are available in Asian supermarkets.

A bowl of cereal is always good in a pinch, as is a can of tuna.

A can of vegetarian chile is nice

I'd be interested in others' snack ideas as well.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Thanks for the ideas alex.

I havent found a can of vege chile without having oil in it....have you? (im in the U.S.)
Also, i do love cereal....kashi makes a couple that are ok to eat on this diet...and Trader Joes has some as well.
I will look for the new blue diamond crackers...thanks for the tips!!!
Fresh fruit!
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Do you have the time to cook for your self? If so there are plenty of cookie/brownie/cake recipes that can be tailored to fit.
I am in the US and haven't seen any oil, or just a tiny bit in the canned chilis. Most are fat free, so only a small amount of oil.

Another thing is Morningstar Farms' products. You can get a reasonable vegan facsimilie of a sausage.

Regading fresh fruit - we're already eating fresh fruit,we're talking about those oppressive snack cravings. That said, I do find cut up celery a surprising treat as well as carrot sticks.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Hi All,

I often also just eat fruit as a snack but I find I regularly have cravings for something with that little bit more be it sweet or savory!! More often savory with me. I've been having Baba ganoush on rice crakers lately which is a nice change from hommus. Also Tomato and Basil brushetta is nice on sourdough. But my fav snack is a rice cake with mashed avocado, grated carrot, corriander (cilantro) and LSA (ground linseed, sunflower and almonds). Also try http://www.fatfreevegan.com this is an awsome site! Thanks for this thread njmom.

All the best

Lori :)
Hi Lori,

Those rice crackers sound delicious. Could you bring some around to the station. LOL

Paul
Hey all,

I am a snacker too, I like sweets but I love savoury! It's going to be hard not to crave my roasted chickpeas or soya chips and switch my wheat crackers to something without vegetable oil...so I am stuck on savoury snack ideas too.

I love popcorn, and figure that air popped corn is acceptable, no oil, and it could be seasoned in a number of ways...I've found directions for air-popping corn in a microwave (as I am not about to buy an air-popper just yet ;) ), but haven't tried it yet though!

Keep the ideas coming...
Lulu
When my friends are having potato chips etc with drinks I take home made popcorn. I sprinkle a little powdered stock on it and give it a shake to coat
the corn after I have made it. I use Massel brand. Also I cut pita bread up into triangles and put into oven till crisp and then spread it with a little
flaxseed oil with a little garlic in it. Also keep them plain to have with home made dip.

Roasted Red Capsicum and Sun-Dried Tomato Dip
Makes 3 cups

10 Sundried tomato halves (not stored in oil)
2 roasted red capsicums
2 garlic cloves, chopped (I like to roast the garlic instead of raw)
1 chilli (small or large as desired)
200g can beans ( red kidney or aduki or other)
200g soft tofu
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
pepper and salt to taste
recipe has 1/4 cup olive oil in it but I just use a couple
tablespoons of flaxseed oil.

Soak tomatoes in hot water until soft, then squeeze out moisture.
Chop tom and place in blender, add the roasted capsicums, garlic and chilli and blend
until fine. Add beans and blend until fine. Add tofu, cumin and oregano and blend
until fine. Slowly add oil while blender is still going and season with salt and pepper.
Chill and serve.

This recipe is from liver cleansing diet book by Dr. Cabot except for the change in oil.
Its really yummy
28 posts Page 1 of 3