The Overcoming MS book written by Professor Jelinek is a brilliant read crammed with valuable information about lifestyle and MS. Whether you have read it before and just need a reminder, or have been reading to read it for the first time for a number of months or years, we have created a plan for you to read at your own pace, or to read along with the different weeks of Refresh with OMS.
Buying the book and our free book schemes
- If you live in the US, Australia or the UK you can order a free book
- The book can also be purchased online
- More information here
If you don't have access, don't worry as we will also be sharing infographics, podcast, web pages and videos with much of the same information.
Week 1, OMS Program Recap, pages 43 - 68
You will read about the background of preventitive medicine and chronic western disease and some of the studies validating the OMS program including STOP MS and HOLISM from the NEU.
If you wish to remind yourself about MS, information can be found on pages 1 - 42.
- About MS pages 1 - 42
- Preventive Medicine pages 43 - 58
- STOP MS & Holism pages 59 - 68
Week 2, Eating well
This is one of the longer chapters of the book, so it could be worth breaking up into parts or focussing on the areas you have questions about (listed below). The scientific evidence and studies summary is towards the start of the chapter, followed by specific elements and then ending with practical advice, which is what we have suggested reading.
Key pages to cover:
- 72- Why box
- 117 - In a nutshell box
- 124-147 - implementing the diet
Pages by topic
- 72-84 - Information about fats
- 84-90 - Swank study
- 92-95 essential fatty acids
- 95 -101 HOLISM study
- 103-104 cow’s milk
- 104 - salt
- 106 - alcohol
- 108 - gluten
- 109-117 - supplements
- 118 - evidence
- 121 - plant based wholefood
- 122-123 - seafood
- 124- 130- changing habits & adopting diet
- 128 - what to eat in moderation
- 131 - omega 3
- 137 - 140 oils
- Full chapter pages 69 - 147