- Cook the pearl barley in simmering salted water, according to the instructions on the packet. The grains should still retain a little bit of bite, and have a pleasant chewy texture.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the beetroot and cut into quarters or eighths, depending on the size.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry, heavy, non-stick pan over a medium heat until golden.
- Once toasted, cool and roughly chop the hazelnuts.
- Make a dressing by whisking together the vinegar and flaxseed oil, with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the barley is cooked, drain and leave to cool.
- Scatter the salad leaves over a platter or individual plates. Top with the barley, beetroot and hazelnuts, and drizzle over the dressing.
- For extra flavour, add a low-salt vegetable stock cube/powder to the water when cooking the pearl barley.
- If you have additional time, you could also replace the ready-cooked beetroot with roast raw beetroot.
- If using raw beetroot, start by washing and drying the beetroot, before rubbing it with a little extra virgin olive oil and some seasoning. Then, wrap it tightly in foil and place in a pre-heated oven at 220 C / 425 F for approx 40 minutes or until cooked through. Allow it to cool, then proceed as in step 2.
- If using raw beetroot, you could also try swapping the traditional red-coloured beetroot for golden beetroot.
- Grate a little lemon zest over the finished salad for some extra zing.