- 50 g walnuts pieces
- 100 g rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon miso - paste
- 75 g red onion (chopped)
- 35 g mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tahini or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds - ground
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 can black beans rinced and drained
- Pulse the oats and walnuts in a food processor until they are finely ground then add the onion, mushrooms, beans, tahini/almond butter and flax. Pulse to mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Test if the mixture is holding together well by pinching it. If it is too wet, add more oats, if it is too dry, add a little water a tablespoon at a time. Transfer the mixture to work surface, divide into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a burger patty about 1cm thick. Place on a plate and refrigerate for about 30min.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and bake the burgers until hot and lightly browned, turning once – about 30 – 40min. Serve in a wholemeal or GF bun with salad and a side of sweet potato wedges.
Recipe by: Samantha Josephs 2010