This is an excellent alternative to the vegan béchamel (made with non-dairy milk). It holds up longer, can be frozen and reduces and thickens well. Be careful with the onions and sweetness in the vegetable stock as they can produce a sauce which is too sweet. Use as you would for a cream-based white sauce or béchamel.
Cashew White Sauce (Béchamel Sauce)
This vegan white sauce/béchamel is made with cashews rather than milk and therefore is an excellent alternative for people with MS. Recipe by Jack McNulty.
Ingredients List for people
- Soak the cashews in water for 3-4 hours to soften (you can also leave overnight in the refrigerator).
- Strain and discard the liquid.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and the onions. Cook over medium heat just until the onions go translucent and begin to stick to the pan. Don’t let the onions brown – add water if necessary to prevent scorching.
- Remove and add the onions to a high-speed blender with the liquids, nutritional yeast and reserved cashews.
- Blend first on low and then turn up to high speed and continue to blend until very smooth.
- Season to taste with the nutmeg, salt and pepper.