Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Add a touch of spicy sweetness to your Thanksgiving meal with this delicious, vegan, oil-free, OMS-friendly chocolate pumpkin cake.
Ingredients List for people
- 1 cup pumpkin puree or butternut
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup cacao / cocoa powder 100%
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and boil some water in a kettle to use later.
- Mix cocoa and apple sauce together in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift the flour into a separate mixing bowl.
- Sift in the spices (nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and cloves), salt and baking soda.
- Add 1/3 of a cup of boiling water to the chocolate mixture, stirring quickly to make a smooth chocolate sauce.
- Add the pumpkin, sweetener, almond butter and vanilla essence to the chocolate sauce and mix to combine evenly.
- Add about half of the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir gently until evenly combined.
- Stir in a tablespoon of boiling water.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and another tablespoon of boiling water and combine evenly, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour the mixture into a silicon or non-stick loaf tin, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Put the cake into the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour.
- You can check that the cake is done by sticking a knife through the centre. If the knife comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 15 minutes. Remove gently from the tin and leave the cake on a cake rack.
- Serve slightly warm or completely cooled - whatever you prefer!
- For a chocolate sauce topping, mix 1/4 cup of apple sauce with two tablespoons of 100% cocoa/cacao powder, a tablespoon of maple syrup or agave and a tablespoon of boiling water. Mix together and pour the sauce over the cake.
Recipe adapted from the Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf recipe by Forks over Knives.