- In a shallow bowl, whisk together all the ingredients up to the bread slices until smooth and well combined.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- Dip each side of the bread slices for a few seconds into the egg mixture. Drain off the excess and then place in the pan.
- Cook for approximately 2 -3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup
- Cartons of pasteurised egg whites can be found in many supermarkets.
- Serve with whatever toppings you like, e.g. sliced bananas, or any other combination of fruits that are in season, poached fruits, honey, yoghurt, a drizzle of nut butter etc.
- Once cooled, the French toasts will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator and can be reheated in the oven at 400 F / 200 C / 180 C Fan on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, for around 3-4 minutes each side, or until piping hot.
- To freeze after cooking. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack. Transfer to a freezer bag, separating the slices with baking parchment, and freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost in the microwave, and then reheat as above.