Filo lentil 'sausage' rolls
Sausage rolls make great pass-around food served with chutney, salsa or ketchup. We had them for dinner with baked potatoes, coleslaw and generous amounts of red enchilada sauce.
Thank you to Rachel for sharing this recipe.
Ingredients List for people
- 230 g filo pastry (around half a packet)
- 200 g onion roughly chopped
- 200 g mushrooms sliced
- 150 g bread toasted
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 250 g brown lentils cooked or a tin of lentils, rinsed and drained
- 40 g linseed
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Remove the filo pastry from the fridge to bring it to room temperature.
- Line a baking tray with a silicone mat or baking paper.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- When up to temperature, add the onion to the pan and a tablespoon of water.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently and adding another tablespoon of water if it starts to stick. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking in the same way for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms soften.
- Remove from the heat and scrape the mushroom and onion mixture into a food processor.
- Pulse until they form a rough paste.
- Put the mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Tear up the toast and put it in the food processor with the herbs (no need to wash the food processor).
- Pulse until you have rough bread crumbs.
- Add the herby bread crumbs to the mixing bowl along with the lentils, linseed, tomato paste, soy sauce and nutritional yeast.
- Mix really well to combine.
- Take three sheets of filo pastry out of the packet and lay them in a pile on a work surface with the short edge towards you.
- Place a third of the filling mixture in a strip about 5cm wide along the short edge of the filo pastry.
- Roll up the filo pastry to enclose the filling, sealing the end with a little water
- Continue in the same way with two more piles of three pastry sheets, filling each with a third of the mixture.
- Brush with a little plant based milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Slice each of the three rolls into ten smaller rolls and place on the lined baking tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden.