- 14 oz / 400 g whole wheat pasta e.g. penne
- 2 small handfuls pitted green olives , or pitted black olives, halved if large
- lemon zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 x 5.5 oz (drained weight 4 oz) cans / 160 g (drained weight 112 g) tuna , in water
- 3 tbsp fresh dill , chopped
- 5 ½ cups / 1350 ml water
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil , optional
- Put the pasta, olives, zest and lemon juice, salt and pepper in the pan with the water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until most of the water is absorbed and the pasta is al dente (the cooking time will depend on the kind of pasta you are using). The starch from the pasta will thicken the lemon juice and remaining water.
- Meanwhile, drain the tuna and break into large flakes and chop the dill.
- Once cooked, take the pasta off the heat and stir in the tuna and chopped dill.
- Sprinkle with some extra virgin olive oil if you like for extra flavour.
- Serve in warm bowls, accompanied by a green salad and/or tomato salad.
You will need a large deep sauté pan / skillet.
You can swap olives for chopped sun-dried tomatoes or capers, and dill for another soft herb, for example, parsley or basil.