Mushroom and Lentil Bolognese
This bolognese takes a little while to make, but the results are worth it! With real depth of flavor, you won't be left disappointed.
Thanks to Maria for sending in the recipe.
Ingredients List for people
- 1 dried porcini mushrooms pack
- 200 g mushrooms of choice
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- 3 king oyster mushrooms
- 2 chopped tomatoes tins
- 1 tomato passata tin
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 carrots
- 1.5 cups lentils
- 1.5 tbsp white miso paste
- chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- white wine splash of
- 3-4 thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven (180°C).
- Cover dried porcinis with hot water, let them soak for about 30 mins.
- Mince and slice other mushrooms, garlic, onions, carrots and transfer them into a baking pan.
- Prepare the marinade: use half of the portobello soaking water, miso paste, balsamic vinegar, chili flakes, tomato paste, 1 tbsp EVOO, add some more water if necessary, then season with salt and pepper and mix together.
- Cover the ingredients in the baking pan with the marinade, add 3 thyme leaves, stir well, -put into the oven for about 30-40 minutes, stir from time to time.
- If they’re done and caramelized, remove the pan and deglaze with a splash of white wine.
- Transfer the mixture into a large cooking pot, remove baked thyme branches add tomato passata and chopped tomatoes, porcini mushrooms and the remaining soaking water.
- Add a little more tomato paste, uncooked lentils, a few dry herbs of Provence, a tiny bit of chili flakes, another fresh thyme branch.
- Bring it to boil and let the sauce simmer for about 45-60 min (the longer it is cooked for the more aromatic it will get), add some more water if it gets too thick; preferably pasta water season with salt and pepper.
- Cook your chosen pasta to al dente.
- Serve with freshly cut basil, some more black pepper, a splash of EVOO and nutritional yeast