Pineapple Fruit Cake
I make this all year but at Christmas I like to use a 150g packet of glacé cherries in the mixed fruit and brazil nuts plus plenty of spice. A tin of crushed pineapple adds sweetness and moisture to this fruit cake and takes the place of eggs, butter and refined sugar. It’s not a rich fruit cake but has a structural stability that withstands travel. It freezes well too.
Thanks to Rachel for sharing the recipe.
Ingredients List for people
- Put the pineapple (including juice), dried fruit and chia seeds in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the plant milk and vinegar and stir well.
- Cover and leave to stand for half an hour so that the fruit plumps up.
- Add the flour and nuts.
- Sift in the baking powder, baking soda and spices and mix gently but quickly to combine.
- Pour into a 23cm diameter silicone cake mould.
- Bake at 160 degrees C for 50 - 60 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes or so before releasing from the mould and cooling on a wire rack.