- 1.5 cups penne (dry/uncooked)
- 1 small piece salmon (you don’t need too much)
- 1 medium lemon (wash to remove wax from skin)
- 1 dash extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dash vegetable stock (for cooking vegetables)
- 0.5 cup (fresh, roughly chopped, discard stems, flat leaf)
- 1 bunch asparagus (fresh, sliced quite thinly on the diagonal)
- 0.5 medium red onion (thinly sliced)
- 0.5 cup peas (frozen)
- 1 cup arugula (fresh)
- 1 tbsp vegan rocket pesto (home-made if possible)
- Zest skin of lemon (do not include white pith) so you end up with about one dessertspoon zest.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to packet instructions. Add frozen peas in the last couple of minutes and simmer with pasta for two minutes, then drain pasta and pea mix.
- Cook salmon in non-stick fry pan. Just cook both sides until salmon is still a little uncooked in centre. It will complete cooking when added to hot pasta. Put salmon aside on a plate. Using same non-stick fry pan (do not clean after cooking salmon) gently sauté onion and asparagus/zucchini for about 2-3 minutes in a few spoons of stock and olive oil until just softened. The stock will ensure that the oil does not heat up too much. Do not overcook.
- Flake salmon roughly and stir gently into drained pasta and pea mix. Gently fold in onion, asparagus/zucchini, fresh rocket, pesto and zested lemon peel. Place in serving plates and lightly squeeze fresh lemon over pasta to serve.
- Large saucepan
- Colander/sieve for draining pasta
- Non-stick fry pan
- Lemon zester (if you don’t have one, use a vegetable grater on the side with the small openings)
- Vegan rocket pesto − homemade is best as shop bought can have Parmesan cheese in it.
- Fresh asparagus − if not in season you can use one small zucchini. Quarter lengthwise before slicing.