You can either serve this tagine with your favourite green veg or couscous and salad. Enjoy with some fresh bread as well to mop up all that delicious sauce.
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Tagine
This dish is cheap and easy to make but full of flavour and certainly a kick of spice. Enjoy with your favourite green veg or couscous and salad.
Ingredients List for people
- 1 sweet potato large or 2 small
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 courgette chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 chopped tomatoes can
- 1 canned chickpeas drained
- 75 g dates roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 fresh coriander bunch of
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. Place the prepared sweet potato on a good quality non-stick baking tray. Pop in the oven to bake for 10-15 minutes. Turn once half way through.
2) Pre-heat a medium-sized pan and add a couple of tablespoons of water along with the onion, red pepper and a pinch of salt. Sauté with the lid on for a couple of minutes.
3) Add the courgette and garlic to the pan, along with a little extra water if everything is starting to stick to the pan. Pop the lid back on and cook for another few minutes.
4) Stir in the spices to coat the veggies. Then add the tomatoes and dates. Bring to the boil, pop on the lid then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
5) Add the chickpeas to the pan and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
6) By now, the sweet potato should be soft on the inside and lightly browned on the outside. Remove from the oven and add half to the pan. Cook for another few minutes.
7) By now the tagine should be thick, the veggies cooked and the spices smelling rich. Turn off the heat, stir in the harissa (if using) and half the chopped coriander.
8) Serve over brown rice or couscous with the remaining sweet potato and coriander sprinkled on top and dairy-free yoghurt on the side.