Don't dismay if they don't balloon, this happens sometimes but it still tastes great!
These Middle Eastern flat breads are great for scooping up dips or sauces such as hummus or Babaganoush (see recipes below).
Recipe kindly sent in by OMS Circle Ambassador Vickie.
Ingredients List for people
- In a stand mixer bowl sprinkle yeast over the warm water. Stir until the yeast dissolves and then let set for five minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Then stir in three cups of all purpose flour, a cup at a time, at low speed with a dough hook until combined.
- Add whole wheat flour and salt until a moderate/soft dough forms then allow the mixer to knead on low speed for 10 minutes to activate the gluten and the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise until at least doubled in size, approx 1 1/2 hours.
- Place unglazed baking tiles or pizza stones in your oven. Preheat oven to 450°F or 230°C.
- Divide the dough in half and set one half aside, covered while working with the rest.
- Divide the other half into eight equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a small ball and then roll each ball into a eight to nine inch circle.
- Let the dough rest for five-10 minutes.
- Bake two breads at a time for 2-3 minutes or until the bread goes into full 'balloon'.