Delicious, flavourful thin vegetable soup for a cold day.
Based on an original recipe kindly sent in by Jack McNulty.
Ingredients List for people
- 2 medium carrots (unpeeled, sliced)
- 2 medium leeks (washed and sliced)
- 4 stalks celery (more, to taste)
- 1 bulb (sliced)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (whole)
- 4 medium sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 bunch (or stems from two bunches)
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 ml white wine (optional)
- 3 mushrooms stems (sliced, optional)
- 2 medium turnips (optional, sliced)
- Combine all ingredients (except wine, mushrooms and turnips, if not using) in a large pot.
- Pour enough water into the vegetables to just cover the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover pot and slowly simmer for 60 minutes.
- Add peppercorns and wine (if using), then simmer an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- Rest broth off heat for 30-60 minutes (I usually let it sit in the pot for about two hours).
- Strain into clean container.
- Cool broth completely (uncovered).