You can add some raisins to the dough as a variation… that would then create a ‘spotted dog.’ Makes one large loaf of about 1 kg.
Whole Wheat Soda Bread
If you have never tried to make bread before, this is a great recipe to get you started. All you have to do is mix together the dry and wet ingredients, form the dough into a ball or loaf and bake it. About an hour later, you will be enjoying some piping hot bread!
Based on an original recipe kindly sent in by Jack McNulty.
Ingredients List for people
- Preheat your oven to 210° C (with fan on if you have one…otherwise add 20° C.)
- Oil and lightly flour an ovenproof pot which has a lid (alternatively, use a standard loaf pan.)
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix well with a spoon or fork, then sift into bowl.
- Mix together the non-dairy milk with the apple vinegar and allow this mixture to stand for about 15-20 minutes.
- When the soured milk is ready, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and carefully combine… resist over-mixing the dough at this point!
- Allow the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes to absorb all of the moisture into the flour.
- Carefully fold out the dough onto a clean and floured work surface. If the dough appears too sticky, add 1-2 spoons of flour and lightly mix.
- Fold the dough like a book from all four ends, then turn over and form into a smooth ball.
- Form the ball into a log shape about the size of your loaf pan if that is what you are using.
- Place the dough into the prepared pot or loaf pan.
- With a sharp knife, cut an ‘x’ deeply in the dough, which will help it spread into four quarters after baking. Make about 4-5 slices across the loaf if using the alternative shape.
- Place the pot or loaf pan into the oven and bake for 30 minutes then remove the pot lid. Return to the oven uncovered for another 10-15 minutes.
- Bake the bread uncovered if using a loaf pan. The finished bread should be lightly browned and feel crisp and firm to the touch with a light hollow sound when tapping the bottom.
- Once the bread is baked, remove it from the pot or pan and place it on a rack to cool. Allow the bread to cool about 30 minutes before attacking it.