The OMS diet is a plant-based diet that includes fish and seafood but minimizes saturated fat.
Foods to eat with MS:
- Leafy greens such as spinach, kale and swiss chard,
- Cruciferous vegetables: broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and cauliflower
- Root vegetables such carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams and parsnips
- Squash, pumpkins and gourds
- Green beans and peas
- Onions, garlic, chilli, ginger and fresh herbs
- Orchard fruit such as apples and pears
- Stone fruits such plums, apricots, peaches and nectarines
- Citrus fruits such as oranges, clementines, grapefruit, lemons
- Berries such as blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, blueberries
- Melon such as watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, etc
- Tropical fruits such as banana, mangoes, papaya, guava, kiwi fruit, pineapple and pomegranate
- Tomatoes, olives and peppers
Helpful hint: Coconut is not included on the OMS diet due to its high saturated fat content.
Helpful hint: Some people choose to eliminate gluten from their diet. While gluten isn't known to be problematic for people with MS, you should avoid it if you have also been diagnosed with celiac disease.
Beans & legumes
- Including: black beans, broad beans, kidney beans, berlotti beans, pinto beans, soybeans, chickpeas/garbanzo beans, lentils, etc
Fish and seafood
- Oily fish such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, trout, herring
- White fish such as cod, bream, haddock, halibut, monkfish, mullet, plaice
- Shellfish such as prawns, lobster, crab, clams, crawfish, langoustine, mussels
- Squid, octopus
Helpful hint: Oily fish should be enjoyed in moderation - aim for approximately three servings a week
- Soy milk, yogurt, ice cream, etc
- Oat milk
- Hemp milk
- Almond milk
Helpful hint: Read labels carefully - store bought dairy alternatives can contain unhealthy vegetables oils
Helpful hint: Egg whites can be eaten but egg yolks should be avoided due to the saturated fat content
Seeds and nuts
- Tree nuts, including: brazil nuts, almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts, pistachios and pecans
- Seeds, including: pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds
- Nut butters such as almond, macadamia, cashew nut butter
Helpful hint: Nuts and nut butter should be consumed in moderation.
FOODS TO AVOID WITH MS
- Milk, cream, butter, ice cream, cheese, yogurt, whey powder
Baked foods, unless fat-free
- Commercially-baked doughnuts, cakes, cookies, pastries, pies
Snacks & sweets
- Chips, crackers, chocolate, snack bars, oil-popped popcorn
- Margarine, mayonnaise, lard, coconut oil, palm oil, unnamed vegetable oils
- All meat from land animals, including cured, processed or canned meats
Fried and deep-fried foods
Any foods fried in oil, including: doughnuts, fries, battered or crumbed fish or chicken, corn dogs, spring rolls, dumplings
Burgers, fried chicken, fries, hot dogs and chicken wings
Helpful blog posts:
- Steps to start the OMS diet
- I used to love dairy, what healthy OMS- friendly alternatives are available?
- What healthy, OMS-friendly meat substitutes can I have?
- Which cookbook should you buy?
- What can I use instead of egg in recipes?
- Tips for following the OMS diet
- Download and print at home Chef Cards in multiple languages