Your vitamin D level should be above 150nmol/L (60ng/mL in the USA). For those with low levels in first testing, a vitamin D megadose is recommended.
Summer months / warmer climates
- If you get enough vitamin D from the sun (for example in the summer months or in a warm climate) you won't need to take a supplement. More about UV and sunlight
Those who get less sun
- 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily in winter
- 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily in summer
The most you can take without risk of serious side effects is 10,000 IU per day.
Families of those with MS
- 5,000 IU a day in winter for family members of people with MS
- We suggest 5,000 IU as the maximum dosage
- Children will need proportionally smaller doses
- We also advise taking vitamin D3 supplements during pregnancy