Common questions about Overcoming MS events and retreats.
- Highly participatory sessions that will engage and inform you about the science and the evidence behind the OMS 7-Step Recovery Program.
- A customized, highly-tailored and practical plan for how you can integrate the OMS approach into your daily life to achieve better health outcomes.
- Increased knowledge about a range of other issues, including medications, stress management, and self-help techniques.
- Clarifying the truths and myths about MS and how to treat it so you can have more clarity about the condition.
- Introduction to a warm, supportive, and friendly network of people who are going through the same experiences as you, and who can serve as touchstones for support well beyond the end of the retreat.
- The ability to engage with presenters and other participants, get your questions answered, and come away with a sense of hope, purpose, and optimism for getting your MS under control and living a fuller, happier, and healthier life.
- Benefit from the therapeutic content of the retreat, which will help you to understand yourself and the triggers that can create stress in your life.
We believe that no one should be prevented from taking part due to constrained finances, so if you find yourself in that position but would still like to attend, please email us at email@example.com and share details about your circumstances. We may be able to help.
Addtionally, we have a new bursary available to eligible under 35s
Please note OMS is a registered charity (No. 1157579) and all our events are not profit-making.
- OMS one-day events are a large, yearly conference-style event with multiple speakers and facilitators and a range of different sessions and topics
The OMS one-day events are a great way of accessing the Overcoming MS program and meeting other OMSers. They are much bigger events (than the retreats) so many people more people can attend and tickets are prices lower to reflect this. They are suitable for those who:
- Are newly diagnosed and want a warm and friendly introduction to the OMS Program
- Are already following the OMS Program, but want to delve deeper into some aspects of the OMS lifestyle
- Would like to meet other people with MS who are following the OMS Program
- Want to improve your personal knowledge of the positive impact of lifestyle modification and self-help techniques
- Are a partner or supporter of someone diagnosed with MS
- Have previously been on an residential OMS Retreat
- OMS retreats are a five-day deep dive into OMS Recovery Program, exploring the science behind it, learning how to adapt it to your daily life, and meet other people on the same journey
Based on his book, Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis, the evidence-based 7-step recovery program, the retreat model was developed by Professor George Jelinek and features a comprehensive and engaging program of discussions and activities that blend science and human experience into a practical path to making changes in your life that can improve your health if you have MS.
-Smaller group taking part in highly participatory sessions that will engage and inform you about the science and the evidence behind the OMS 7-Step Recovery Program.
-A customized, highly-tailored and practical plan for how you can integrate the OMS approach into your daily life to achieve better health outcomes.
-Increased knowledge about a range of other issues, including medications, complementary therapies, stress management, and self-help techniques.
-The ability to engage with presenters and other participants, get your questions answered, and come away with a sense of hope, purpose, and optimism for getting your MS under control and living a fuller, happier, and healthier life
Yes! We highly recommend you attend the retreat with a partner or supporter if at all possible. By sharing this experience with you, your partner or supporter will attain a deeper understanding of what the OMS 7-Step Recovery Program is, and they’ll be in a better position to help you adopt it and stay on course.
Unfortunately we don’t have any retreats lined up for the US / Canada at this stage. We are working to expand our activities in other countries and hope to be able to provide retreats in countries other than the UK and Australia in the near future.
We aim to have UK retreats each year, although we usually only announce the dates when we open bookings. This is to ensure that everyone in the community has a fair chance of getting a space at one of our retreats. We announce any new retreats in our monthly newsletter and on social media, so be sure to sign up to the newsletter or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram to see the announcements. Or you can check the Events pages of the website.