Recipe by Karen Hart
British Fish & Chips OMS-style
A delicious recipe for some good ol’ British fish and chips, but with a special Overcoming MS variation. Featuring some very crispy chips prepared without any oil.
Ingredients List for people
- 1 large Maris Piper potato (or Russet potato)
- 2 tablespoons aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chick peas)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- salt and pepper
- 100 g cod fillet, skinned (or similar local white fish)
- 25 g breadcrumbs wholemeal (or gluten free breadcrumbs)
- juice and rind of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chick peas)
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the chips: Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F)
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunky chips
- Place some water in a steamer pan and bring to a boil. Place the chips in the steamer tray and steam for about five minutes (until fork tender).
- Pour the hot water away and allow the chips to drain, and steam dry
- When the chips are dry, place the chips in the pan along with the aquafaba, cornmeal and pinch of salt and pepper
- Place the lid on and give them a shake to coat the chips and rough them up slightly
- Tip the chips onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and separate them
- Place in the hot oven for around 20 minutes. Flip them over and return to the oven.
- Place the fish in the oven at this stage.
- Cook the chips for another 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the fish and chips from the oven and serve immediately.
- For the fish: Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F); Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Place the fish on the lined baking tray
- Mix the aquafaba, lemon juice, lemon rind, pinch of salt and pepper together and stir into the breadcrumbs
- Squish the breadcrumb mixture on top of the fish
- Cook in the hot oven for 15 minutes until the crust is lightly golden (Place in the oven at stage 10 of the chip instructions.)