- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon (ground)
- 1 tsp chili powder (ground)
- 2 tsp coriander (ground)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 425g cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed - or soaked overnight)
- 3 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tbs unsalted tomato paste (or 1 sachet)
- 6 small dates (chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 0.25 cup coriander (fresh and chopped)
- 2 tbsp mint (fresh and chopped)
- 1 Small bunch baby spinach (tough ribs & stems removed)
- Dry fry onion in a large saucepan for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and spices and cook over a moderately low heat an extra minute or two.
- Add the tomato paste and cook an extra minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas, dates and water boil then simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until spinach has just wilted.
- Stir through the fresh coriander and mint for seasoning.
- Serve with sour dough/spelt pitta.