- Heat the oven to 200 C / 180 C Fan / 400 F
- Place the diced pumpkin, diced parsnip and sliced red onions onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Spray with a little extra virgin olive oil if liked. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until cooked through and starting to brown.
- Meanwhile put the bulgur wheat into a saucepan with double the volume of water, and a little salt. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer gently until all the water has evaporated. Take off the heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes before carefully fluffing up with a fork.
- Stir-fry the spinach in a non-stick pan over a medium heat until wilted. You should not need any additional liquid, as the spinach will give off water as it cooks.
- Assemble the bulgur wheat, baked root vegetables and spinach leaves in warmed bowls. Drizzle with flaxseed oil if liked.
- Substitute the bulgur wheat for quinoa for a gluten-free version
- Delicious topped with mixed seeds, dried cranberries, or chopped parsley or all 3!
- Use any mix of root vegetables - e.g. carrots, butternut squash, celeriac, beetroot.
- Swap the spinach for your favourite greens, swiss chard, cavolo nero, or kale for example.