13 posts Page 2 of 2
I think although relaxing is similar to mindfulness, there's still a marked difference. Relaxing is like walking as mindfulness is to exercising regularly. You may feel you've had some exercise after an occasional walk, but after regular exercise, your whole body feels different. I suppose someone can have a clear mind without it, but for those of us with unending chatter, worries and emotions flying in and out of view, it can provide a quietness of mind never experienced before and different from being simply relaxed. With practice, the clarity carries itself through stressfully situations.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
I get it through running, have to be 40 minutes or so into it too really get peace of mind but I tend to process thoughts in a positive way whilst pounding the streets and I think after a certain amount of exercise, your brain just slows down a little to conserve energy (my take on it but... works for us).
I am coming to realise that mindfulness is not simply emptying the mind of everything for half an hour although there is some benefit to that. Mindfulness is about being fully aware and watching one's own mind, seeing what dwells there.

I think that mindfulness can be employed more throughout the day. Why worry about the future or past when you have right now to enjoy. I still think that there is a place for nostalgia or joyful anticipation though; I feel that these are largely beneficial (or at least harmless) emotions.

It's a journey this MS business isn't it? Today I meditated for half an hour thinking only about the things that I am thankful for. I feel like a million dollars after it! I never guessed that I would be doing these kinds of things a year ago.

Gareth
13 posts Page 2 of 2