- 100 g hummus
- bunch fresh coriander
- hot sauce ( I used sriracha)
- half cucumber - sliced
- 175 g firm tofu or smoked mackerel
- 4 tablepoons Japanese rice wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 150 g mixed vegetables (leftover raw veggies, shredded carrots, radish, red cabbage)
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 baguette 1 long French baguette or 4 crusty rolls
Heat oven to 180C/ 356 F
Slice or grate vegetables
Put the shredded veg in a bowl and add the vinegar, sugar and 1 tsp salt. Toss everything together, then set aside to pickle quickly while you prepare the rest of the sandwich.
Cook tofu or mackerel if necessary/as required. I sued pre cooked smoke mackerel and baked the tofu which was bought marinated.
Cut the baguette into four, then slice each piece horizontally in half. Put the baguette pieces in the oven for 5 mins until lightly toasted and warm. (If you are using ready to bake rolls, follow instructions on the packet)
Spread each piece with a layer of hummus, then top four pieces with the tofu, cucumber and pile the pickled veg on top.
To serve, sprinkle over the herbs and squeeze over some hot sauce.
I use pre-marinated firm tofu to make things easier. (Cauldron Foods in the UK). I used ready to bake rolls as that is what I had at home.