- 2 cups rolled oats
- 250 ml oat milk (or non-dairy milk, orange or apple juice, or even water)
- 0.5 medium lemon (juiced)
- 0.25 cup sultanas (or other dried fruit)
- 2 tbsps almonds (ground)
- 2 medium apples (pears are also nice)
- 500 ml soy yogurt
- 2 cups seasonal fruit (stewed rhubarb is particularly nice)
- Put the rolled oats in a bowl and stir in the milk, lemon juice, dried fruit and ground almonds.
- When all is moist, cover and refrigerate. This removes the raw flavor of the oats and allows them to swell and absorb the liquid.
- The next morning, grate the apple, stopping just short of the seeds.
- Stir the grated apple into the muesli with half the yogurt.
- To serve, put about ½ cup into each serving bowl, top with the rest of the yogurt and plenty of fresh fruit.
Bircher muesli was created by Maximilian Bircher-Benner, a Swiss doctor and nutritionist, who developed it for his patients to get more raw fruit into their diets.
Great to make ahead if you are in a rush in the mornings and you could even take it with you to work.