- Make a soft meringue with the egg whites and sugar and add a pinch of salt.
- Fold together the hazelnuts and meringue, adding the orange zest (optional).
- Transfer the mixture to a large saucepan, and cook gently over medium-high heat. The mixture will stick to the pan, so it is important to constantly stir the mixture until it is stiff and slightly brown.
- Pour the batter onto a clean work surface and cool by turning it onto itself.
- Spoon dollops onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper. No need to make them look nice – remember, the English translation for this cookie is ugly but good!
- Bake in a pre-heated 150° C for about 15 minutes, then turn up the heat to 160° C and continue to bake an additional 4-5 minutes. The cookies should be golden on the bottom.
- Transfer to a rack and cool before digging into them. Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days (you can also freeze these cookies by completely baking them, cooling completely and placing them on a baking tray in the freezer – once frozen, transfer to a zip-lock bag, and place directly in a pre-heated 170° C oven for 3-4 minutes before eating).
Jack McNulty takes you through the recipe step by step