- If you need to cook the squash, peel and cut it into cubes, then steam over simmering water for 10 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool then mash into a puree.
- Mix the chickpea flour to a paste with 3 tbsp cold water.
- Put the cooled squash puree, chickpea flour paste, milk and self-raising flour into a blender and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff. Fold into the batter carefully so as not to lose too much air.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and cook the pancakes in batches. (I used just less than 1/4 cup for each one, which gives 16 pancakes). After pouring the mixture into the pan, wait until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake and it looks set around the edges, before flipping it over with a spatula.
- Serve warm.
Options and Extras
- Add 1 tsp mixed spice or cinnamon to the batter for extra flavour
- Serve with:
- Chopped fresh fruit and nuts (e.g. chopped apples and pecans) and a drizzle of maple syrup
- Fruit compote e.g. apple/blueberry/mixed berries and plant-based yogurt