Chapatis flatbreads (also know as roti) are easy to make and delicious with curry instead of rice. Try with red lentil dhal or kidney bean curry, recipes below.
Ingredients List for people
- Put flour in bowl and slowly add water to form soft dough.
- Knead for 5-6 minutes until smooth.
- Cover with damp cloth and leave for half an hour.
- Set heavy skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. When hot turn heat to low.
- Meanwhile divide dough into 15 balls with floured hands.
- Roll each ball into a 14cm circle on a well floured surface.
- Shake off extra flour and slap onto skillet.
- Cook for 1 minute until white spots develop.
- Turn over and cook second side for 30 seconds.
- Optional: place chapati directly on the flame for a few seconds. It will puff up and you will see brown patches. Repeat on other side.
- Place chapati on plate lined with large napkin and cover while you cook the other chapatis.