- Put flour in bowl and slowly add water to form soft dough.
- Knead for 5-6 minutes until smooth.
- Cover with damp cloth and leave for half an hour.
- Set heavy skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. When hot turn heat to low.
- Meanwhile divide dough into 15 balls with floured hands.
- Roll each ball into a 14cm circle on a well floured surface.
- Shake off extra flour and slap onto skillet.
- Cook for 1 minute until white spots develop.
- Turn over and cook second side for 30 seconds.
- Optional: place chapati directly on the flame for a few seconds. It will puff up and you will see brown patches. Repeat on other side.
- Place chapati on plate lined with large napkin and cover while you cook the other chapatis.