- Sauté the onion in a large non-stick pan until soft, using a little water to stop the onion catching (5 - 10 minutes depending on how finely you have chopped them).
- Add the chestnuts, vegetable stock and rosemary. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take off the heat, add the milk and then using a stick-blender or high-speed blender, process until completely smooth.
- Transfer back to the pan and if you think it is too thick, let it down a little with water from a recently boiled kettle, until you have the consistency you want. Taste and season to your liking with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve with warm crusty bread in hot soup bowls, drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil if you like.
Options and Extras
- Red onions can be used instead of shallots.
- This soup is also lovely served with some roughly chopped mushrooms, sautéed in a dry non-stick frying pan until they start to soften and brown. Season before spooning over the soup in each bowl.